Useful Technology & Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swtiepie711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that schools have computer technology requirements and, from SDN, have heard that oftentimes students realize after the fact that they didn't need to buy new computers. But what have you been really happy to have technology-wise (laptop? pda? blackberry? etc.) or what do you wish you had purchased or had purchased earlier?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that schools have computer technology requirements and, from SDN, have heard that oftentimes students realize after the fact that they didn't need to buy new computers. But what have you been really happy to have technology-wise (laptop? pda? blackberry? etc.) or what do you wish you had purchased or had purchased earlier?

You probably should hold off on computers until you find out what your school requires you to buy -- some make you buy it through them with proprietary software etc installed, or at least buy specific systems that work with their networks. As for PDA, you probably will have more significant use for this in 3d year than in the basic science years, and so since technology will change by then I would hold off.
An easy to read watch you can use to take pulses is probably helpful. And a good VCR or TiVo to tape all the shows you will be missing during test weeks. Otherwise wait on everything.

Thanks for the thoughts, Law2Doc :)

Members don't see this ad :)
An ipod. I wear mine during dissection and it makes the time fly so much faster, I wear it when I treck around campus, I wear it while working out, and I wear it while studying at school (which keeps you from being that guy who keeps shushing everyone else). In short, I live with my ipod on. Medschool is better with a soundtrack.

Hold off on buying that $600 Blackberry until 3rd year. I don't know what I'd do without my laptop, though. Ipod fo sho. Hit your family up on both for Christmas and graduation (plus the obligatory stethoscope). And X-nay on the new Playstation, it will suck the life right out of your first year grades.