Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Useful things to do while Shadowing????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by zepplinfan, May 4, 2004.

1. zepplinfan

zepplinfan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Alright, I'm set to shadow my first time this week. At the sake of sounding stupid, what am I supposed to do while shadowing.......(besides the obvious). This is an ER doc.............half the time she's just walking around. The other half she's sitting behind the nurses station writing.

What's funny is that she was very encouraging about me shadowing but said that she moves rather fast and may not be able to teach much. Am I supposed to learn something from her??? I thought it was simple observation.

Alright, this starting to sound lame.......maybe you could post something about what was the most rewarding thing while you shadowed???? Anecdotes are more than welcome. :thumbup:

2. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

observe her, observe how the hospital works, observe how she handles different situations (stress, other doctors/stud/nurses, non-compliant patients, ethical dilemmas). remember stories about patients so that you can share them in an interview. ask her advice about med school, residency. observe healthcare and insurance issues if you can.

im sure there are other things. but theres a start.

3. IcedCube

IcedCube Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

bumpbumpbu

4. MG Md 2B

MG Md 2B Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I shadow in the ED quite a bit. The first day or two I just followed him around and watched and listened. Once I got to know the Dr. I was shadowing, he started letting me do more...like listen with his stethoscope, look into people's eyes with the big eye equipment stuff, and teach me about lab work #'s, x-rays, and scans. He even let me in the "grief room" when they told a parent her child was seriously injured/paralyzed. Definitely a learning experience. Anyway, build the trust of your Dr, ask questions, and you'll end up getting a lot out of the experience.