Usefulness of Goljan Audio to score over 250?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disappointeddreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to cross 250 on step 1, will be taking it around September. I'm not a particularly strong student, most recent NBME was a 206.

I've recently started listening to Goljan audio, it wasn't as structured as I hoped. Is it essential for me to listen to it in order to Score >250 or can it be skipped?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I listened to the majority of it, and can recall at least 3-4 questions I got right simply from listening to it and scored >250, but n=1. If your last NBME was a 206, I'd recommend focusing more on the foundational resources, but if you have down time (I listened to it while working out or driving) then sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I listened to the majority of it, and can recall at least 3-4 questions I got right simply from listening to it and scored >250, but n=1. If your last NBME was a 206, I'd recommend focusing more on the foundational resources, but if you have down time (I listened to it while working out or driving) then sure.

So far I have listened to maybe 2 hrs worth of it, and haven't really retained much. I am planning to listen to it while working out. I am pretty weak on the basics, but im a couple of months out, so hoping to make most of my time.

Did you do anything other than the traditional UFAP for your score?

Thanks!

So far I have listened to maybe 2 hrs worth of it, and haven't really retained much. I am planning to listen to it while working out. I am pretty weak on the basics, but im a couple of months out, so hoping to make most of my time.

Did you do anything other than the traditional UFAP for your score?

Thanks!
That's honestly how I felt as far as not retaining a whole lot, but then when I would do UW questions or read something from another source, I could hear Goljan in my head, so you might be retaining more than you realize. If you have a couple months, I'd definitely focus on UFAP and really using UW to learn, and possibly supplementing with other material for anything that you are weak in, depending on the subject. But if you listen to him while working out or something like that, I don't see how it could hurt.

I didn't really do anything besides UFAP and sketchy, but I busted my ass the first 2 years so I feel like that helped my score more than anything I did during dedicated. If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to attempt to answer them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's honestly how I felt as far as not retaining a whole lot, but then when I would do UW questions or read something from another source, I could hear Goljan in my head, so you might be retaining more than you realize. If you have a couple months, I'd definitely focus on UFAP and really using UW to learn, and possibly supplementing with other material for anything that you are weak in, depending on the subject. But if you listen to him while working out or something like that, I don't see how it could hurt.

I didn't really do anything besides UFAP and sketchy, but I busted my ass the first 2 years so I feel like that helped my score more than anything I did during dedicated. If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to attempt to answer them.

My plan was originally to UFAPS. Have gone through all of them once. Planning on adding boards & beyond now.
Thanks for the input I appreciate it :)

My plan was originally to UFAPS. Have gone through all of them once. Planning on adding boards & beyond now.
Thanks for the input I appreciate it :)
I think this is a good idea, as your foundation may need revising. It's a supplement that shouldn't take away from your UFAPS+BB studying. Like the poster said above, if you have spare time it wouldn't hurt. If not, you can skip it.

I personally have a soft spot for the audio. I remember listening to it almost a year before taking the STEP. I don't think he directly helped me review material, HOWEVER he did change the way I looked at questions moving forward. Maybe that was more important in the long run.

I think this is a good idea, as your foundation may need revising. It's a supplement that shouldn't take away from your UFAPS+BB studying. Like the poster said above, if you have spare time it wouldn't hurt. If not, you can skip it.

I personally have a soft spot for the audio. I remember listening to it almost a year before taking the STEP. I don't think he directly helped me review material, HOWEVER he did change the way I looked at questions moving forward. Maybe that was more important in the long run.

Yeah sounds about right. Thanks!

I stuck with UFAPS and it worked for me to break 250. A lot of my classmates used Goljan for Path & to study for Step and they really liked it. I would recommend you stick with UFAPS since I really think it's more than enough to cover most of the material on the exam. Good luck!

I stuck with UFAPS and it worked for me to break 250. A lot of my classmates used Goljan for Path & to study for Step and they really liked it. I would recommend you stick with UFAPS since I really think it's more than enough to cover most of the material on the exam. Good luck!

Oh that sounds great! I would like to stick to as few resources as possible as well! Thank you :)