USF 3rd/4th years? I gotta ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbennett

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

At least 1/20 of third years are happy. Not certain of the remaining 19/20 of the class. I stayed with them for the interview. Odds are good, I arrived in Tampa today.

cbennett said:
I don't believe i will have any problem getting in with my stats and ecs

That's a bold assumption. Weren't you pre-dental and asking about the carribean a month ago? I don't think anyone can consider themselves in at any of these top schools until it happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry i don't know about USF but i do know that most (if not all) schools will only chose the "cheerleaders" students to rep them on interview days. why would the pick the indiffernt/disgruntled people? they save that for the interviewers :laugh:

I am only a M2 at USF but all the third and fourth years I know have had no major complaints about the clinical rotations or their skills. On the contrary, many of them have expressed a belief that USF students are more prepared than many of our colleagues at other schools.

I heard about that letter but understood that it was written by only one disgruntled student and it was questionable whether he was even a USF COM student.

Additionally, the administration at USF is the best in the business. You will not find a more caring group of people than those led by REL and Dr. Specter.

USF does not limit interaction of interviewees to a select group of "happy" students (although it has been my experience that most students here are as happy as possible given the medical school curriculum). Students from all classes can volunteer to host interviewees and all students are welcome to pop in and greet all prospective students during their interview days.

As for classes, the faculty is very receptive to changing items that the students do not like and we have a very good relationship with them. In fact, Dr. Muffly and his colleagues are making changes to the anatomy curriculum based on the student evaluations that we fill out at the end of each class.

Our classes are not 8-5 every day. For the first year, that schedule will only hold for Profession of Medicine. For most of the year, we have class 8-5 on Monday and Wed, class from 1-4 or 5 on Tuesday, 8-12 on Thursday and Friday. If you do not want to attend class, no one is going to force you to. We have videostreaming that allows you to watch the lectures in the comfort of your own home and we also have note service which takes dictation of each lecture, word for word (you need to pay $5 or so for the year and then transcribe lectures but if you prefer not to do so, you can always hire another student to do it).

BS Classes-- what do you consider BS? We have Longitudinal Clinical Experience, which is an opportunity to go out into the community and work with doctors in various fields (you are assigned) during your preclinical years. There is also colloqium that includes topics not readily incorporated in other classes. These topics range from personal finance to autopsies and death certificates to face transplants. Is that BS to you? It may seem that way to some if it happens before a major anatomy exam but I believe it is an excellent addition to the curriculum. The only class that most of my fellow students truly disliked was Medical Ethics and Humanities but it is a requirement by the AAMC for humanities to be included in medical school curriculum.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Law2Doc said:
That's a bold assumption. Weren't you pre-dental and asking about the carribean a month ago? I don't think anyone can consider themselves in at any of these top schools until it happens.
AGREE, saw too many 4.00 42 MCATS, I am sure I am in Harvard just to see they got rejected from their own state schools. Keep the decision after you got the offers and have the luxury of picking what school best suits you.

I hope this is a troll, but I don't think it is. Love your offhand mentioning of affirmative action in the last sentence for the extra umph.

Okay, saying that you don't think that you will have any trouble getting into any US school with your stats (and may I remind you that you have not yet taken the mcat) is pretty arrogant; I would suggest you tone your attitude down, apply broadly, and pray for an acceptance to any school, just like the rest of us.

cbennett said:
Thats funny? I dont remember saying i don't think i would have trouble getting into ANY school with my stats. I said my stats are good enough to get into the vast majority of schools and that my stats are certainly above average for USF (majority is certainly not all? my stats would not be what would hold me back at most schools but it would be the luck of the draw(this like i said above is assuming i do well on the MCAT which i am not to worried about concidering i scored a 23 on the ts sec of the dat) And last i checked USF is not that competative of a school to get into in comparison to many others.

You misunderstood what I was saying; I meant that it is pretentious for anyone to think that they are not going to have any trouble getting into any given school (regardless of the tier) especially if they haven't even taken the mcats.

iiiimonica said:
sorry i don't know about USF but i do know that most (if not all) schools will only chose the "cheerleaders" students to rep them on interview days. why would the pick the indiffernt/disgruntled people? they save that for the interviewers :laugh:

:laugh: So true, so true...

silas2642- i don't think its necessary to call the OP's statement 'arrogant'. the OP is confident...what is wrong with that? stop hating.

cbennett said:
Thats funny? I dont remember saying i don't think i would have trouble getting into ANY school with my stats. I said my stats will not hold me back at the MAJORITY of schools.

I am planning on applying broadly, and i am not worried too worried about the mcat because i have taken practice tests and i am scoring in the 33-34 range currently and i still have another few weeks left. (i have also taken the dat recently(june) and scored very well on the ts 23) I will be hoping for an acceptance but not to just anywhere. I currently would rather take off a year and reapply then to go to a school i did not like. To me, location is the most important thing about a school and i would not even think about going somewhere i didnt like the location of and blow four years of my life.

It depends on how you define competitive. USF looks for a lot of other characteristics besides GPA and MCAT scores. They really give a lot of thought in putting together a class and strive to admit students that may have lower stats but who in their view, have other traits that are likely to make them better doctors.

Good luck with the process.

Taking what you say at face value, CB, you have a good GPA, and good ECs, but...

Don't want to sound harsh, but until you have MCAT scores in your hands, You. Have. No. Stats. It's good to be confident and all, but really study your assets off for that MCAT. Then, apply where you want to apply.

cbennett said:
I am still thinking of dental and would prefer it over medicine but i have read many articles about increased risk of nuerological disorders due to the chemicals dentist are around (mainly mercury) and my family on both sides has a history of alzheimers so i am very reluctant due to this fact.

Are you serious? For every epidemiological study that indicates correlation, there is one that disproves correlation. And the practice of medicine is no stranger to hazardous chemicals. This is classic trolling. I suggest that the OP seal himself in a bubble... unless he's allergic to plastic.

Curious. Can anyone say what USF's new third year curriculum is like?

To the original poster, nobody should assume anything about getting into ANY medical school (enough broad terms for ya). In the company you are in, that sort of comment really, really smells. Especially after interviewing several prospective students, this sort of attitude goes a long way into landing someone into the rejection pile. Besides, without MCAT scores, it's meaningless. Another thing that ALWAYS strikes me as odd here in this forum is how QUICKLY people are to provide interesting specifics about their application's (assuming its true). Hasn't ANYONE here realized yet that people from adcoms INCLUDING the coordinators themselves REGULARLY surf this board?!?!? I mean, holy freaking crap, what a stupid, stupid way of getting the boot. You make their job so easy and even that much more interesting. If what you said is true, it would be very quick to tease out your application from the list. Keep your cards to yourself and don't let anyone see them. *insert theme from The Gambler* Ask pointed questions on these boards and rile some feathers if you care, but keep specifics about yourself . . . to yourself. ESPECIALLY if you are applying. You anonymity is priceless and protect it from your ego (i.e. desire to dazzle others with your GPA or MCAT)!