HelloKitti

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello...
Are there any previous students of the University South Florida Masters of Medical Science, Women's Health program out there??? If so, I would greatly appreciate your input...did you enjoy the program, was it beneficial, is it a good outlet to med school in the future, how are the classes, difficulty, rating, etc.

Any past post-bac students of USF are welcome to reply...
I've searched SDN and there are not any threads in reference to USF post-bacs so any information would be wonderful. Thank you so much:):)

mike1618

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Tampa
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I wouldn't recommend that concentration. Medical schools want to know that you can handle a rigorous schedule and I don't think that Women's Studies will accomplish that.

There are 2 other concentrations that are better suited for entering medical school: Molecular Medicine and Anatomy.

I did the Mol. Med. concentration and I don't think that I would recommend this program to anyone. I learned a lot but the program is not in touch with the medical school. Very few students in all of the concentrations got in to USF this past year. I think the total was 3 out of 150 or so. I heard a bunch of complaints from the Anatomy concentration as well.

If you decide to do the masters, plan on having a year off after you graduate because most medical schools are going to want to see all of your grades.

Jul 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
has anybody gone through University of South Florida's--Master's in Medical Sciences, Health Science concentration? can you tell me how the experience was and if you would recommend it?

Feb 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I was just accepted to the molecular medicine program. I was wondering if anyone knew the amount of ppl that were accepted to ANY med school after completing the program.

From what I have heard on SDN, USF is not really known outside of florida and it's not a REAL smp. Unless u are in the IMS program. So if you get accepted to any other schools like BU or tufts or Georgetown, don't go to USF

Jun 18, 2010
Status
I completed the MS Health Sciences this past December. Be prepared to write-- A LOT. You will not only have discussions every week to post, you will also (in most classes of the program) have a paper due nearly every week. Some papers are straight forward, others require a lot of investigation- but all VERY educational. Don't forget to save everything you write, even for the DBs- it will be great reference in future classes, and probably even med school. The tests aren't too tricky- be sure to do the readings and practice quizzes repeatedly. Because it is all online, you could probably maintain a part-time or even full time job fairly easily, depending on your ease in writing papers. The most challenging part would be self discipline... If you are a very focused person with excellent study habits, you won't have a problem. Even though professors are very accessible, it does get lonely- especially when you are used to discussing things with classmates and forming study groups. It is a great way to strengthen an app, and gain a better understanding of the basic sciences. Good luck to you if you decide to enroll in the program!