1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

USF med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kornphan, Aug 9, 2001.

1. kornphan

kornphan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a few questions about USF medical school... I have heard that USF (like other schools in Florida) are now required by law (passed this year by Bush) that they must admit 11/12 'minority' students every year. That means that out of 96 position, 12 are 'reserved'. Also how much does USF rely on the MCAT scores ?.. does it matter to them as much as GPA ?.. It 'seems' that they are very much 'number' oriented. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That is called a quota. It has been ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court. Further, the topic is so strongly fought against by Bush that I am having a difficult time believing that such a thing exists.

4. usfgator

usfgator Member
    7+ Year Member

Kornphan,

I really do not know the answer to your first question, but I can give some information for your second question. I remember when I applied, I thought the same thing as you. It seems that USF has for some reason a reputation of being number oriented. However, I can tell you that this is not entirely true. I know of some people that had MCAT scores that would be considered subpar to many people and still were accepted. They did offset this though with an excellent GPA and lots of leadership experience. Of course always try to achieve the highest score possible, but don't let a score considered subpar by others, discourage your chances. Try to do your best in all areas of the application. Just remember if you make it to an interview, everything else takes a back seat. Also remember that schools publish their AVERAGE MCAT scores and GPAs. All florida schools seem to rely more heavily on GPA then the MCAT. Hope that answers some questions.