Usf--mms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WisePrincess227

F.R.O.G.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie and I have been lqqking through the pages to see if anyone applied to USF in Tampa and their Masters of Medical Sciences program.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied, I don't think anyone on here has a lot of info though.

I'm in the program this year. Let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a couple of questions:

What kind of gpa/test scores do the people who got in the program have?

How many actual med school classes are you enrolled in?

Are you guaranteed an interview or anything depending on your grades in the program?

How do you think it compares to the other well known programs (Georgetown, EVMS, etc.)?

I have a couple of questions:

What kind of gpa/test scores do the people who got in the program have?

How many actual med school classes are you enrolled in?

Are you guaranteed an interview or anything depending on your grades in the program?

How do you think it compares to the other well known programs (Georgetown, EVMS, etc.)?

The program has just started so I don't think they have a lot of the stats that you probably want...but here's what I know..gpa at least a 3.0 and higher, MCAT 22 and higher. Medical school classes the same ones as MS1 with the exception of anything clinical. Guaranteed acceptance, no unfortunately, but if you are competitive (ie keeping a gpa similar to those that already in med school then you are offerred an interview for the following class) Compares to other programs---well, it is on a smaller level which i think I am going to particularly enjoy--I am can say that the curriculum is competitive, it just depends on you as a person...

I understand that those are the minimum requirements, but I'm wondering what the actual students in the program now have. Apparently with there being a large # of applicants I would think that you would have to have more than a 22 and a 3.0 to be seriously considered

yeah I went to an info session myself earlier this semester...I was more trying to find some insight from the few people who are in the program now, I don't know if they might have some useful stuff not covered in the info sessions. It definitely looks like a promising program though, especially for those of us who don't want to leave sunny FL...

Hey gujudoc,

Thanks for the info. I know USF is oriented to educating Florida residents. My interest in the program is contingent upon being considered an ex-patriot of florida. I was raised there. My relatives are there. Would the masters program give me equal consideration for the med school if I came there from an out-of-state residence? Thanks if you can help me with this one.

I don't recall them saying they would preferentially choose FL residents for the masters program...I know the regular med school admissions leans that way a little, but I think that for the masters program they may not be that concerned, but the deadline for Fall 07 has passed already unfortunately

I am not sure of the answer to that question. I'd send an email to Mrs. Jackson or Seema Rampersad to get the answer to that. Woudl you like their email addresses??

P.S. You were from Bradenton originally weren't you? I vaguely recall us talking a long time ago about and discussing bradenton. LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes. Where the old folks and sunshine are plenty. Yeah thanks I'd really appreciate their email addresses. I'm trying to troubleshoot the need for overcoming a low gpa with the prohibitive costs of an smp. I could move in with my aging grandmother to help her get around and keep up her place nice and live rent free. And get to see her more than once every 2 years. Win-win. Then I could use fafsa for the program. But you know it depends if the med school would take me if I did well. Because i don't think the program is known enough to justify the gpa damage for applying to other schools. If you say you got a 3.4 at georgetown smp people know what your talking about, otherwise its just a mediocre masters performance to them.

Take care. I appreciate your assistance.

I don't recall them saying they would preferentially choose FL residents for the masters program...I know the regular med school admissions leans that way a little, but I think that for the masters program they may not be that concerned, but the deadline for Fall 07 has passed already unfortunately

Oh yeah thanks i'm a little bit of an excessive planner. I'm talking about applying next year. Were any of the accepted masters students out-of-staters?

bump

Results April 16. 07.

I called and was informed by I believe Seema Rampersard.

as stated before it was around 120 or 180 I can't remember the figure. They expected ~60. So, I am inclined to say 180. This is all for only 15 seats.

i figure this post would suffice your PM. If not let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Yeah that has really got me scared now. I'm surprised that the applicant pool has increased so much. What do you suspect was the reasoning? Better advertising about it? The deadline extension?

This really has me scared. For some reason I feel like I don't even know if I will stand a chance.

word spread quickly? I think decisions are almost ready..it's only 2 weeks before they let us know....

that's definitely a lot. I don't know if you guys remember, but they did extend the deadline to apply by about 2 weeks, it was originally around the 3rd week in February. I'm assuming it was to attract more people to the program, but I wonder if they're regretting that now...

WOOOW!!
Lots of ppl are appying to the IMS program. I thought they'd get 80 max.
We're talking 120 possibly 180.

Word really spread around fast!

Less than 3 weeks till decision time. The committee has to be reviewing at a fast rate to review all 180 apps.

I wonder if they'll impose a cut-off or review each app as a whole.

Good luck...peace out!

ouch!!!!

I'm nervous and calm....how is that possible??

11 days to go!!!!!

So do we know what time on the 16th they're sending out emails?

This is worst than waiting for mcat scores!

no, but i am sure we will all be checking every 30mins or so... :D

I am pretty sure you will be called then emailed

Phone calls....really?

(I'm assuming you mean accepted ppl will be called).

I heard everyone will be emailed and sent a letter, but not called.

Thank God for work so I can have a few distractions during the last week of waiting. But next weekend will be hard!! I might go to a friend's party but I might not be up to it.

Anyways, where/when will you be checking your emails?

I won't till after work at home.

Good luck to all!

what are the stats for the applicant who were intervied and accepted this year?

I meant for current IMS students what are thier acceptance rate to USF med school or other med school.

I'm unsure of all the specifics. But the director of the program said that the IMS students are going to be monitored from day 1. They will have to excel in their studies, interact with their classmates and faculty.

He said this is different than how MD students enter med school in the sense that the adcom has a whole year's worth info about IMS students.

Therefore, the IMS students need to be near perfect.

The reason I'm putting the emphasis on the IMS year is because the director did.

Now about matriculating into MS1 after IMS, that's specific info I won't find out until I see if I get in or not. :)

^^ yea...doing very well makes you a strong candidate.

I think IMS students do all the classes with med students but clinical stuff. Is that right?

I used to know this but I'm forgetting.

It's official now one week countdown!!!!!

^^ yeah IMS students get their interviews in April b/c the committee wants to see their grades before making a decision on them.

I think they wait on the anatomy class grade and maybe a couple of others.

I'm not sure if the adcom reserves a few seats for IMS or like Guju said maybe a high-tier waitlist or straight out acceptance.

I officially can't keep my mind off the decisions.

thanks so I would think the current class(MD) would be filled already and they are interviewing for wait list spot... why do they not reserve some seats?

would they have pref. over the current applicants wait listed>

ty

I got that email recently also, I think it's just an automated response that the main campus sends you once they have all of your application info (read when they have your $30 application fee). It's funny b/c they say you can check the status of your application online but that site has been down for the past couple of weeks. Oh well though, 6 days isn't too much longer. Is anyone else waiting on any other applications? I've got one out at EVMS but still haven't heard anything.

originally from Jax, graduated from UF, now at USF...I'm making my rounds to all the hot spots in FL

haha yeah Miami and Orlando are the only ones I haven't covered I think...Tallahassee would be tough, a med school acceptance there might sweeten the deal though...

If you're interested on a good perspective on how spirituality and science can coexist, try The Language of God by Francis Collins. I'm reading it now, pretty heavy sometimes, but really good and a fresh approach to this whole business of science vs. religion in a winner takes all battle to the death business.

yeah Orlando is a nice place, it's a shame that their med school isn't opening until Fall '09. I think that is going to be a very attractive school once it gets going...

She stated that I will have to wait until next monday. I think she was talking about this coming monday. I know they are not waiting until the last minute with this.

They probably aren't waiting until the last minute, but I think they want to follow their intial intentions of letting everyone know on the same day. I am anxious lke anyone else. Do something constructive this weekend to keep your mind busy. :cool: See you all on Monday

I'm sure they have the people already. Just waiting.

accptd to Gtown. Now gtown vs. usf

smp

I want to see how many people get in from the IMS into a medschool.

is it worth that amt to go gtown.

smp

I want to see how many people get in from the IMS into a medschool.

is it worth that amt to go gtown.

Georgetown has a good program because it's been around the longest. If you are a competitive medical school applicant right now, and are going to do a masters program to boost your credentials to get into a highly competitive medical school, then pick georgetown because it's a well known name. If you are an average or below average applicant, then chances are, you arent going to do something impressive enough to get into highly competitive schools unless you pull a 4.0 among other things. Im not saying it cant be done b/c people do it from time to time, but it's just not likely. I chose the USF program over others I was accepted to because of the cost (didnt want to spend over 60k between tuition and living at the out of state programs), and because I like USF's medical school and hope to be here next year. We have two people in the first year med class that did georgetown's program last year. They said is was great because it got them into med school, but seeing what we're doing now, they wouldve rather done what we're doing because you take every first year class. So call up the schools that you are going to apply to, give them your stats, and ask their opinion on which program to do and if it would even help you to be more competitive at their school.

I got waitlisted, I wish they gave some more info about where I was on it...I'm actually pretty shocked by it, I was pretty confident about this one..

Congrats to everyone who found out they're in. For those who are waitlisted, dont give up hope yet because there are sure to be some people who got in who are also on medical school waitlists and may get into medical school instead. For those who didnt get in, dont be discouraged. Get some applications into other programs whose deadlines havent passed yet. There are plenty of good programs around that will help you get into medical school if you work your hardest at them. Also, there are other one year masters programs in various disciplines here at USF to do besides the IMS program that can help you get into medical school. I know of at least one or two people who didnt get into the IMS program last year who are doing just that. I'm not sure about the deadlines, but look into it if you're interested. Good luck everyone!

I also got accepted into the IMS program. I am finishing my MPH and graduating from Hopkins in May. My graduate GPA is a 3.6, MCAT a 29S (11 physical/10 biological/8 verbal), and I have five years work experience in public health (mostly as an environmental scientist). I went to an Ivy League school for undergrad and graduated with around a 3.0. I was interested in studying medicine then but wasn't willing to make the commitment ... how five years of working changes that!

I have a feeling that applicants for the IMS program were more competitive this year than last year. Seema said that three others applied with master's degrees (but I don't know if they were MS degrees or the schools).

My advice for those who want to go to medical school (and I really shouldn't be giving advice because I have many hoops to get through before I am accepted) - stay positive, remember that life is a learning experience (meaning that you can find success at anything you do, even if it isn't in medicine), and don't give up! I am probably one of the oldest students admitted into the IMS program - I am 29 - and what I hold as most important in life has drastically changed since I was in undergrad. I no longer thrive to socialize but enjoy spending quiet nights with my husband and two dogs.

Also, please remember to keep in mind that it doesn't matter where you go to medical school. True, some schools focus more on research than patient care and vice-versa. Unfortunately, not many people have the luxury of selecting which medical school to attend - not even me!

I just found out I got into USF med here. Looking forward to meeting next years masters class. I'll be here if any of you need help throughout the year.