USF (Select) vs Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eldenatro

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am really torn between these two great schools. Ultimately, I want to end up practicing in Florida and hope to specialize in either surgery or emergency medicine. The USF Select program could help with networking and matching in Florida but seems to be more primary care focused, while Temple would provide some great clinical opportunities but is located in PA. I prefer Tampa to Philadelphia, but prefer Philadelphia to Allentown (the last 2 years of the USF Select program are held in Allentown, PA). Would really appreciate any insight or help!

USF Select Program:
Pros:
  • First 2 years location- beautiful weather, Tampa is fantastic, would live within walking distance of campus.
  • $60k cheaper tuition over 4 years than Temple
  • Great research opportunities for first 2 years (like the Moffit Cancer Center)
  • Brand new facilities
  • Could provide easier matching into Florida residencies (I want to practice in FL but I’m not a FL resident)
Cons:
  • Traditional grading (Honors, Pass with Commendations, Pass, Fail)
  • Have to move to Allentown, PA for clinical years. I am familiar with Allentown (I’m from NJ), but I prefer larger cities.
  • Less free time- The SELECT program involves additional classes for a graduate certificate in leadership. Seems really cool, but the administration expressed I wouldn’t have much time to do clinical research like I hoped.
  • More mandatory classes
  • In-house exams

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Pros:
  • Pass/Fail grading
  • Location- Philly is a cool city. Would prefer over Allentown
  • Great clinical education (I’m interested in emergency med and Temple seems like a great place for that)
  • Beautiful facilities
  • Lots of research opportunities
  • Less mandatory classes
Cons
  • North Philly’s location means I would have to live elsewhere and commute ~20 min. I don’t particularly enjoy city driving.
  • No direct relation to Florida (maybe more difficult to match residencies there?)
  • Weather- I would take Florida’s heat and humidity over the cold any day of the week.
  • Bit more expensive

Members don't see this ad.

Difference in price including COL will be well over 70k so choose USF as Temple is not as highly ranked anyway. City of Philly has some of highest gun homicide rates in the country.

Last edited:
Difference in price including COL will be well over 100k so choose USF as Temple is not very highly ranked anyway. City of Philly has some of highest gun homicide rates in the country.
Sorry I meant to include that being $60,000 cheaper includes estimated total COL. I know USF is higher ranked but does that matter when the difference is #46 vs 68? Thank you for the input!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The money sure does! I have lived in Philly much more expensive than you realize!

Lucky I didn't get shot with all that handgun violence.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to include that being $60,000 cheaper includes estimated total COL. I know USF is higher ranked but does that matter when the difference is #46 vs 68? Thank you for the input!
You're right about the difference between #46 and #68 being absolutely meaningless. $60K over 4 years is similarly nothing in the scheme of things.

So, that leaves you with your gut. People match all over the country. If you want to go to FL, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to, from anywhere. USF will probably give you a leg up, since you'll have 2 years to make connections in Tampa before being shipped out to Allentown.

OTOH, being forced to pick up and move, at your own expense, midway through your journey, is likely to be disruptive. Why not reach out, through the school, to people who have done it to get an insider's view of the pros and cons, and then do whatever makes the most sense to you?

My feeling is you are likely to end up in the same place regardless, so you need to figure out whether the benefit of 2 years in Tampa and the connections you will make there are worth the hassle of the SELECT requirements and the exile to Allentown, versus being in Philly for 4 years. I'm not sure I'd pay any premium at all just to avoid 2 years in Allentown, but YMMV. There is no terrible decision here, so just go with your gut.

60k in loans means 120k after interest. That isn't chump change for a lower ranked school

Not pointed out here but also wanted to add that Temple’s curriculum is not true pass/fail. There is some form of internal ranking which is present but not evidently described. During my interview day LKSOM medical students confirmed there is ranking involved, which is used in part for AOA admission, it’s just that no one really knows how it works.