USF vs. Barry Masters in biomedical sciences for pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skengsko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a thread on comparing the one year masters in biomedical sciences program at USF and for Barry but I couldnt find one. anyone have any idea on which program is better and which is better for applying to dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

def. USF. i base this on absolutely nothing. :laugh:

just because I can. ;)

The importent think to keep in maind is that your are geting a M.S which most dental school look at as indaction on how determind you are to geting in to dental school. Also an M.S will push a head in the application pool in front of ppl who just have a regular B.S. USF is a school that I would think is known just based on the name...I have a freind who attended Barry and he is in my dental class and he crused through the first year b/c he said he took all the classes such as histo, neuro, anatom and ect, he said he found it to be harder at barry so he was pretty set for his scince courses. eaither way do your home work and dont base your descison on the fact of what ppl think you should do. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
where do you go for dental school? so you havent heard of anyone doing the program at usf?

I am currently in the USF Molecular Medicine M.S. program. I got accepted to Barry University one year M.S. program as well.

I chose USF due to the cost difference and I am originally from Tampa (live with parents haha). I would say Barry would give you an advantage if you are going to apply to NOVA (since they have a dental course taught by a NOVA faculty member).

The dental schools I applied to took note of my Masters (you can also get a grad certificate in Medical Microbio, Biochem, and Immunology at the same time you work on your M.S. by the fall semester if you are doing Molecular Medicine.).

The USF Molecular Medicine program utilizes the same teachers that teach in the Medical School there and some are big in their fields.

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/graduatestudies/mscus/ms_overview.htm

hello,

do you think having a masters from usf or barry matters? or do schools take note of either because they are both masters programs? did you get into any schools?

As superficial as it may sound, adcoms do look at where the masters was taken at. I was on the waitlist and the adcom said "There are many other applicants with the same GPA/DAT score but they're from Ivy leagues so why should we choose you over them?"

I would suggest doing a masters at a bigger name school like Boston or Tufts, even though they're not Ivy, they're still reputable.

Case has a M.S. in Anatomy right?