UsGPA: 2.91, master's sGPA: 3.93, MCAT: 509 what's my chance and where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dukeassa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UsGPA: 2.91, master's sGPA: 3.93, MCAT: 509 with breakdowns as C/P: 129, CARS: 124, B/B: 128, P/S: 128,
UcGPA: 3.17, McGPA: 3.88

DO, MD, amd medical students shadowing (~60 hours), hospital volunteering (150 hours), community clinic experiences: medical scribe & interpreter (~60 hours), little bit of community services,

30+ years old "non-traditional" Asian (I don't know if I can say this) who lives in California

currently starting a master's program at a DO school with guaranteed interview.

LORs - including few that are very strong - from 3 faculty members and 2 PIs and possibly 2 more - an anesthesiologist I shadowed and an primcary care provider whome I work at the community clinic (she's the director)

I'm applying to DO and MD schools and especially need help with choosing MD schools. I'm checking out MD schools from MSAR and making my decisions based on how many out-of-states a school has accepted in the past, besides the obvious MCAT and GPA filters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? What is your cGPA ?

I live in California. On my processed AMCAS, they're UcGPA: 3.17, McGPA: 3.88. i don't think they give you a combined GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
There are no OOS public MD schools where you could receive interviews with your stats. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a 30% chance for a MD acceptance and as a CA resident it would be lower. You could try a few of the private schools such as:
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT
You best chances will be at the DO schools

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
There are no OOS public MD schools where you could receive interviews with your stats. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a 30% chance for a MD acceptance and as a CA resident it would be lower. You could try a few of the private schools such as:
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT
You best chances will be at the DO schools

thanks for the advice!!!
what do you think about some public and private schools with high percentage of out-of-state matriculants like

Albany
Stritch
Wright State
USC Greenville
California North UCM
California University SM-SM
Wayne State
Cooper
Tulane
Robert Larner
Carle Illinois
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
Toledo
Michigan State
and i have some questions if you can ...
do catholic schools give preference to those who've some experiences with church-related activities?
is there a standard for some of these schools that the in-state ones they accept usually have low MCAT and GPAs and the out-of-state ones make up for the higher ends?
i also noticed that some schools average out multiple MCAT scores. i checked the schools above and they don't seem to; can you confirm from your knowledge?

The Catholic schools and Tulane like applicants with a lot of community service, not the low hours that you have. The non residents that are accepted to state public schools are often former residents, URM, veterans, legacies or those who attended the undergraduate school or from neighboring states (half of Toledo's non residents are from Michigan). Vermont is the only one worth trying. You could try Albany and your instate schools California University, California Northstate and Loma Linda. Concentrate on your DO application since that is where you will receive most of your interviews.

OOS schools are your best bet. Aim for at least 10. I would try SUNY-NYC, SUNY-Buffalo, and SUNY-Downstate for sure. Agree w/the Albany and Loma Linda recommendations. Do you have any clinical experience?

yes, i have clinical volunteer and medical scribe experiences (over 210+ hours), plus shadowing over 60 hours.
oh, and i forgot to mention that i have an extensive basic science research background.

The Catholic schools and Tulane like applicants with a lot of community service, not the low hours that you have. The non residents that are accepted to state public schools are often former residents, URM, veterans, legacies or those who attended the undergraduate school or from neighboring states (half of Toledo's non residents are from Michigan). Vermont is the only one worth trying. You could try Albany and your instate schools California University, California Northstate and Loma Linda. Concentrate on your DO application since that is where you will receive most of your interviews.

I know it's going to sound weird. but do you think i should wait a while before applying to DO schools since I'm doing a special master's program get into TOURO-California and since if accepted I'd have to respond within few weeks to accept it or not.

is it worth to applying Texas MD schools through their unique application system? what do you think also about Australian MD schools?

is it worth to applying Texas MD schools through their unique application system? what do you think also about Australian MD schools?
Texas schools accept mainly their own residents and your stats are not competitive for a non resident. Applicants who attend foreign medical schools have a low match rate for US residency positions. It is up to you to decide if you want to take a chance with the TOURO program and apply a year from now to DO schools if that does not work out.

I know it's going to sound weird. but do you think i should wait a while before applying to DO schools since I'm doing a special master's program get into TOURO-California and since if accepted I'd have to respond within few weeks to accept it or not.
Your problem is that successful reinventors have much higher MCAT scores for MD schools, usually 513+

Try UCI, UCD, but that's all I can recommend for MD

Your problem is that successful reinventors have much higher MCAT scores for MD schools, usually 513+

Try UCI, UCD, but that's all I can recommend for MD
Thanks for your advice! I'm thinking about adding UC Riverside although they reserve up to 25 seats for their program-finshing students;
I think my MCAT is too low for UCI

Dukeassa said:
Thanks for your advice! I'm thinking about adding UC Riverside although they reserve up to 25 seats for their program-finshing students;
I think my MCAT is too low for UCI
Dukeassa could you please provide some references to support this statistic? I have heard different things about the UCs. Just wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
currently starting a master's program at a DO school with guaranteed interview.
Why are you doing another masters program when you're already competitive for DO?

Reactions: 3 users
You may have a decent chance at the Texas DO schools (TCOM and the new SHSUCOM) if you don't mind filling out TMDSAS.

More so with SHSUCOM. I'm iffy about TCOM, but think your chances are not bad.

Why are you doing another masters program when you're already competitive for DO?

according to AACOMAS, my overall UsGPA is 3.18 and GsGPA is 3.88, with the combined science GPA as 3.33 if my calculation diving the total grade points by the total number of credits is correct.
that's why I'm doing this masters program. plus, i think it'll help my performance once i'm in medical school too since the program is a "light" medical school curriculum. i'm also not interested in moving anywhere if I'm going to a DO school.

when is it late to submit primaries?

according to AACOMAS, my overall UsGPA is 3.18 and GsGPA is 3.88, with the combined science GPA as 3.33 if my calculation diving the total grade points by the total number of credits is correct.
that's why I'm doing this masters program. plus, i think it'll help my performance once i'm in medical school too since the program is a "light" medical school curriculum. i'm also not interested in moving anywhere if I'm going to a DO school.

when is it late to submit primaries?

I’ll be sure to quote this next year if you end up reapplying.

Reactions: 1 users
what's wrong with that? wouldn't anybody want to go to school where they already reside?

You don’t want to move for medical school, I get that. Unless it’s an MD school, then you’d move to the other corner of the earth.

Come now.

You don’t want to move for medical school, I get that. Unless it’s an MD school, then you’d move to the other corner of the earth.

Come now.

obviously, I need to go somewhere right?! but I have a preference just like anybody else. that's all I'm gonna say