USHUS pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLACKMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm seeking some advice on the USHUS pre-reqs. Their website says they will not accept any pre-reqs done online. I didn't think that was a problem at all since all of my science courses have been done in a brick and mortar school. However, they have one year of English listed as a pre-req. I completed those classes online while serving active duty. I'm planning on applying next year but I really don't know if it is worth taking a year of English IN CLASS somewhere when I already got an A in both semesters at an online school. I have yet to contact any adcoms but I was wondering if anyone here knew if there were waivers for such circumstances. Or maybe I could wait and see if I was accepted then complete the courses over my gap year? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm seeking some advice on the USHUS pre-reqs. Their website says they will not accept any pre-reqs done online. I didn't think that was a problem at all since all of my science courses have been done in a brick and mortar school. However, they have one year of English listed as a pre-req. I completed those classes online while serving active duty. I'm planning on applying next year but I really don't know if it is worth taking a year of English IN CLASS somewhere when I already got an A in both semesters at an online school. I have yet to contact any adcoms but I was wondering if anyone here knew if there were waivers for such circumstances. Or maybe I could wait and see if I was accepted then complete the courses over my gap year? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I am not military but there is seriously no real difference in an online/in person english class. I seriously doubt there is even anything on the course description to delineate it as so.

This is probably more applicable to the online sciences. I actually had some pre dents on my ochem class who did gen chem online (had to lab on their with a kit etc).

I seriously doubt that your online classes will count. Double check with an adcom at USUHS, but I very much suspect you will have to take a year of English at a State school or better.

Edit: I didn't really read the rest of your thread. There are no waivers for something like this. Also, DO NOT apply without checking first. There is a good chance that if your application would just get thrown in the trash for not having completed the pre-reqs. Med school admission is competitive enough as it is. Don't give an adcom the excuse to bin your app.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously doubt that your online classes will count. Double check with an adcom at USUHS, but I very much suspect you will have to take a year of English at a State school or better.

Edit: I didn't really read the rest of your thread. There are no waivers for something like this. Also, DO NOT apply without checking first. There is a good chance that if your application would just get thrown in the trash for not having completed the pre-reqs. Med school admission is competitive enough as it is. Don't give an adcom the excuse to bin your app.

Well usually your acceptance is contingent upon completing the prereqs so I would have part of my gap year to take two English classes. It's just asinine that I would have to do that. I did email them. I'll post their reply if I get one.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Well usually your acceptance is contingent upon completing the prereqs so I would have part of my gap year to take two English classes. It's just asinine that I would have to do that. I did email them. I'll post their reply if I get one.

Posted using SDN Mobile

The problem with that plan is that you're assuming you'll get an acceptance with enough time to take two English classes before matriculating. If you get an acceptance in November, that's fine and you could cram in two English classes during the spring semester. But what happens if you don't get accepted until February or March? Or even April or May? At that point, it's too late for spring semester, and you're out of luck. If you're set on wanting to go to USUHS, it seems like an awfully big risk to take to not get started on those classes right away.

Also, many (most?) medical schools require a year of English anyways. Might as well suck it up and get it done so you can apply to as many schools as possible.

I learned this the hard way. I received acceptances for medical school and found the one that I chose did not accept online pre-requisites. I had to scramble to finish a statistics and biochem class in the months before medical school matriculation, at great cost to the wallet and anxiety levels. It's not worth it.

Good news! They do accept "sws" or "writing intensive" courses. So I am covered.

Posted using SDN Mobile