Using a SLOE for non-EM rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can one do this or no? I've heard of IM, FM, Surgery letters being used for say Anesthesia programs. Or FM letters for Peds programs, and even non-SLOE EM letters for non-EM programs. But never heard of SLOE being used for non-EM.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking if you can use the SLOE format from a non-EM writer, for the purposes of the EM match?

Are you asking if you can use the SLOE format from a non-EM writer, for the purposes of the EM match?

No; I'm asking if the SLOE that a program writes for you, can be used as a letter of rec towards a non-EM residency application?

Sorry if it wasn't clear from my post.

Members don't see this ad :)
How the hell would any of us know? We all did EM.

Reactions: 1 user
No; I'm asking if the SLOE that a program writes for you, can be used as a letter of rec towards a non-EM residency application?

Sorry if it wasn't clear from my post.

Is this for dual applying?

I would just get another letter dude. I'm not sure how acquainted other fields are with SLOE's. SLOE's can be harsh. Why not put in the extra effort to find another LOR writer that can potentially write you something nice and fluffy?

Just cross out Emergency Medicine with crayon and pencil in Internal Mediicne or whatever. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Can one do this or no? I've heard of IM, FM, Surgery letters being used for say Anesthesia programs. Or FM letters for Peds programs, and even non-SLOE EM letters for non-EM programs. But never heard of SLOE being used for non-EM.

TIA

You could technically do this, as in it would let you upload the letter into ERAS and send it to programs. However, why would you want to do this? Having a SLOE basically says "I was really really interested in Emergency Medicine" and then you are applying to a completely different specialty -- will give the wrong idea to programs. If it's because you happened to do an EM rotation and did a great job on it, just ask whatever faculty member you worked closest with if they can write you a strong letter of recommendation (not a SLOE) instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses. I'll be asking an attending for an individual letter instead of using the SLOE.