Using AP Biology Credit Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tejan

Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm about to start my first year of college and I have recently noticed that General Biology is not on my schedule. I received 10 credits due to my score on the exam but that means I will not be able to take Gen Bio I, Gen Bio II, or Gen Bio Lab. After entering college with around 30 viable credits, I am able to graduate early but I don't think I want to speed up my timeline and considering AAMC/School Specific pre-req course suggestions. My advisors are "discouraging" taking Gen Bio and want me to take Fundamentals of Cellular Biology instead.

So what I really wanted to hear about your personal experiences with applying to schools using AP Credit? Is it something that was really a hindrance? (I don't really have a list of schools I want to apply to so I haven't searched for specific information) Do y'all think "Cellular Biology" fulfill that requirement of 1 year of General Biology?

Thanks! Appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm about to start my first year of college and I have recently noticed that General Biology is not on my schedule. I received 10 credits due to my score on the exam but that means I will not be able to take Gen Bio I, Gen Bio II, or Gen Bio Lab. After entering college with around 30 viable credits, I am able to graduate early but I don't think I want to speed up my timeline and considering AAMC/School Specific pre-req course suggestions. My advisors are "discouraging" taking Gen Bio and want me to take Fundamentals of Cellular Biology instead.

So what I really wanted to hear about your personal experiences with applying to schools using AP Credit? Is it something that was really a hindrance? (I don't really have a list of schools I want to apply to so I haven't searched for specific information) Do y'all think "Cellular Biology" fulfill that requirement of 1 year of General Biology?

Thanks! Appreciate any advice!
if i were you, i would pick 2-3 medical schools, especially from your state, - schools you will definitely apply to, -contact admissions offices and ask them specifically if these courses qualify or not. be very nice though, because they are very busy. But this is what i did, and it took all the guess work out of the question. Worst case scenario - even if you discover during the application year that you are missing a course or two, you can always just take them during the application cycle. The requirement is to fullfill all prereqs prior to MATRICULATION, not prior to submitting application.

if i were you, i would pick 2-3 medical schools, especially from your state, - schools you will definitely apply to, -contact admissions offices and ask them specifically if these courses qualify or not. be very nice though, because they are very busy. But this is what i did, and it took all the guess work out of the question. Worst case scenario - even if you discover during the application year that you are missing a course or two, you can always just take them during the application cycle. The requirement is to fullfill all prereqs prior to MATRICULATION, not prior to submitting application.
This^^^^. In general, while many schools won't accept AP credits for prereqs (although some will), most will allow you to substitute upper level courses rather than making you retake the intro course. So don't feel pressure to retake Gen Bio if you are being advised against it.

This^^^^. In general, while many schools won't accept AP credits for prereqs (although some will), most will allow you to substitute upper level courses rather than making you retake the intro course. So don't feel pressure to retake Gen Bio if you are being advised against it.
exactly!!!

My schools seemed excited that i took upper level courses, and not a single one had a problem with it (my problem was not AP, it was online courses, - i was in the military and only had online classes as an option). But the best bet - pull up the list of courses that your school offers, match them with what your academic advisors said you need to take to graduate, and after you make that list, contact the schools.
If you want, feel free to PM me, if you need help - an advice - of what might be better for medical school (like, what courses might be better, which ones are probably easier, etc).

Reactions: 1 users