Using Butterfly IQ for injections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

witothewi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using the Butterly IQ ultrasound probe to perform nerve blocks or joint injections?

I have done shoulder and hip joint injections using this probe, and while the anatomy showed up reasonably well, the needle (a regular BBraun 22g spinal needle) did not. I was able to get the injections done, but I am not sure how useful this device is for anything besides scanning.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this probe for regional blocks and/or interventional procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been using it for all peripheral injections and nerve blocks the last year and a half. I have not had a problem visualizing the needle. since it does over the air updates maybe look into that. If still having issues maybe you need a new probe. The customer service is pretty good.

I have been using it for all peripheral injections and nerve blocks the last year and a half. I have not had a problem visualizing the needle. since it does over the air updates maybe look into that. If still having issues maybe you need a new probe. The customer service is pretty good.

What are you using to cover your probe? I’ve had some trouble with seeing the needle the way I expect; maybe I’m too greedy? I want that nice Sonosite view...

It’s great in the office, the hospital won’t let me use it for security concerns. Anyone have similar issues? Could just be the nature of my employment arrangement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t cover the probe. I just keep it away from the sterile field. There is no way the butterfly can replace a Sonosite etc. I love the portability and being able to project it using airplay.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve used just a tegaderm as well as a regular probe cover. I think the tegaderm is definitely better for this probe.

What needle do you use for your blocks? I know an echogenic Pajunk is probably ideal but I was hoping to save money in clinic by using 22g spinal needles.

same I use a 22g spinal. 18g for aspirations. I am in private practice. I can not afford Pajunk lol

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve used just a tegaderm as well as a regular probe cover. I think the tegaderm is definitely better for this probe.

We were banned from using tegaderm on the ultrasound probes during residency because the adhesive degraded the crystals over time.

We were banned from using tegaderm on the ultrasound probes during residency because the adhesive degraded the crystals over time.

Degraded the actual crystals or the rubber on the probe? I do worry about the rubber wearing out on the butterfly, but I think it’s a crystal-free system. I have gone to using tagaderm for everything in hopes of lessening the chemical burden on the probe itself. Butterfly doesn’t provide guidance either way, the last I checked.

Degraded the actual crystals or the rubber on the probe? I do worry about the rubber wearing out on the butterfly, but I think it’s a crystal-free system. I have gone to using tagaderm for everything in hopes of lessening the chemical burden on the probe itself. Butterfly doesn’t provide guidance either way, the last I checked.

Not sure on the specifications of each company's probes but it's worth looking into. We didn't care as much when we were residents because we didn't pay for the ultrasound, but if it's coming out of your pocket you may feel differently.