Using Chinese characters in Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kokytos

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, for my personal statement, I wanted to use two chinese characters as a literary device in my personal statement, but I'm worried about the formatting. Am I at risk for the characters showing up as boxes or not formatting correcting when I submit my statement? Is it safer if I just use pinyin? I honestly prefer the chinese characters but I also dont want to risk my app because of it.

Thank you!

For context, this is the sentence:
“Does anyone know the word for cells in Chinese?” my Chinese language teacher asked. Breaking the silence, I answered, “Isn’t it 细胞?” My classmates turned to me with puzzled faces.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
With no other context, this seems pretty cringe.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, for my personal statement, I wanted to use two chinese characters as a literary device in my personal statement, but I'm worried about the formatting. Am I at risk for the characters showing up as boxes or not formatting correcting when I submit my statement? Is it safer if I just use pinyin? I honestly prefer the chinese characters but I also dont want to risk my app because of it.

Thank you!

For context, this is the sentence:
“Does anyone know the word for cells in Chinese?” my Chinese language teacher asked. Breaking the silence, I answered, “Isn’t it 细胞?” My classmates turned to me with puzzled faces.
Either use pinyin, or even better, say, "Breaking the silence, I responded with a Chinese word for somatic cell."

[Hopefully, he didn't want the term for jail cells.]

Reactions: 6 users