Using DO letters for MD Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I'm applying for the next cycle, and one of the physicians I shadowed is a DO, and he as offered to write me a letter. He is a very high ranking member of various osteopathic associations, and he actually is the one that told me to apply broadly not just to DO but also MD.

Would it be okay to use that letter for MD schools as well? Was wondering if that would be an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

So... I'm applying for the next cycle, and one of the physicians I shadowed is a DO, and he as offered to write me a letter. He is a very high ranking member of various osteopathic associations, and he actually is the one that told me to apply broadly not just to DO but also MD.

Would it be okay to use that letter for MD schools as well? Was wondering if that would be an issue.

I would say that it is definitely ok. Heck, I used an MD letter when applying to a DO school this past cycle and didn't even have a DO letter despite the fact that it was strongly recommended and I got in to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you didn't insult someone who has gone out of their way to help you by saying anything other than "Thank you so much, that would be great! Is there anything information about myself I can give you to help you write the letter?" (i.e. copy of CV, grades, etc.)

I think it should be OK. You're going to have other letters of recommendation so it shouldn't be a big deal.