Using Gold Standard Exams with Solid AAMC Science Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about 2-3 days ahead of the 3-month SN2ed plan. Taking Sept 18.

I've taken AAMC Self assessments, AAMC 3, 4, and 5.

Average on PS: 13 (range: 12-14)
Average on BS: 14 (range: 14-15)

I've heard the new MCAT is super calculation heavy (unlike the AAMCs I've taken so far in which I literally do almost no calculations).

Obviously, there is no way I am going to finish all the GS exams. But should I purchase them to really try to reinforce my science knowledge or do you think that is a waste of time?

I'm going to finish SN2ed (including AAMC 7-11, finishing final 1/3 of TBR) but I think I can squeeze in 3 GS exams if I really push it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I say go for it. The GS exams can be had for cheap on Ebay, and the PS section on those is known to be calc heavy. I think it is especially benefit for us sn2ed people to get a hold of some calc heavy PS sections since TBR is very conceptual versus say kaplan which is calculations up the yingyang. With you scores I feel you are going to kill it either way though! :)

If you don't mind how have you done on TBR passages? I am taking 10/25 and have 2 chapters left in physics and three in gen chem. Thanks!

I'm basically in the same situation as you. How's the Kaplan section tests compared to GS in terms of reinforcing for the calc-based questions?

Reactions: 1 user
I say go for it. The GS exams can be had for cheap on Ebay, and the PS section on those is known to be calc heavy. I think it is especially benefit for us sn2ed people to get a hold of some calc heavy PS sections since TBR is very conceptual versus say kaplan which is calculations up the yingyang. With you scores I feel you are going to kill it either way though! :)

If you don't mind how have you done on TBR passages? I am taking 10/25 and have 2 chapters left in physics and three in gen chem. Thanks!

When people say buy it off ebay, do you mean buy the CBTs off ebay? I guess there is no way to get the exams without buying all 10?

I don't track my TBR stuff meticulously (too depressing) but for most non-bio topics I average around 70-85%. For bio, I average like 60-70%.