Using letters of recommendation from community college vs. UIC professors.

craigory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2003
Status
So the first time I applied to dental school, I got two science LOR from professors I had during undergrad here at UIC. I didn't send them to the pre-health advisors, so this year I needed to get the letters resubmitted.

When I called my profs, they had no real memory of me (I participated and was active in class, but it's been almost a year and a half to two years), but one told me he'd just throw my name on what basically amounted to a form letter.

Instead I think I'm going to submit the letters from two professors I had at my junior college who I became very close to. I know for a fact these letters are personally written about me specifically and I think that carries a lot more weight than something that will probably be blatantly obvious as a form letter. I also figure I can explain this during any possible interviews I may get.

Any opinions?

MikeCheck12

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
just use the community college lor. I was in the same situation as you last year. what schools are you applying to? I had interviews at uic, marquette, detroit mercy, siu & midwestern but other things factor in. the letters was no problem.

714guy

counting down till 5/2012
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
all my LORs were from CC teachers.. shouldn't be a problem