1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

using loans to fund applications

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WWU_Viking, Jul 16, 2006.

1. I'm going to apply to med school the end of my last undergrad year. I just finished at a CC and will be at my university for three more years, and my parents and I have taken out student loans. However, any excess is delivered to me (or my parents, but they chose me).

???Am I the only one that does this:??

I'm planning on saving this excess loan money for applying to med schools, and I have even been thinking about an SMP program to do during the year long gap to enhance my application.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oh yea...i'll also work alot in the summers (job secured)...applying to ~25 med schools is less than 1500 i'm almost sure....

three more years, should be fine...

but saving up for secondaries is not a bad idea

4. shantster

shantster Eye protection!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm planning on doing that with my loans for this next year.

5. booswim542

booswim542 Walkin' on Sunshine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you will be fine as long as you work during every summer. I have even worked every semester of college and I have just put everything I could afford into savings.

But....I am applying to 17 schools and I am already close $1500 after primaries and 10 secondaries.

Put every last penny into your application fund, it's the way to do it!

6. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you're forgetting about those "other" expenses with applying - interview wear (a good suit can run you a couple hundred dollars at least) including dress shoes, airplane tickets, hotel costs, eating away from home, etc. etc. All told, many folks spend $5-10K applying to med school (including MCAT fees and prep classes). I'm sure there are plenty that spend less than that, but I know one girl that applied for two years and spent over $15K. Not counting her MCAT classes and exam fees.

7. Returnednds

Returnednds Member
    10+ Year Member

A couple hundred for a suit? More like six!

8. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did say "at least". you can get a reasonable suit at JCPenney's, but personally I bought a *good* suit for my husband that cost over $1000. Worth it - the wool is fabulous, the color wonderful, the tailoring superb. And it'll last him for years.

Having said that, though - I was looking for women's suits (yeah, try getting a woman's suit in a store that's NOT polyester), and ended up purchasing my wool, linen, and silk suits on ebay for less than $20 each. Yup. No kidding. And three of them I got for less than $10. They look wonderful, and I really prefer the natural fabrics.