using loans to fund applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WWU_Viking

I'm going to apply to med school the end of my last undergrad year. I just finished at a CC and will be at my university for three more years, and my parents and I have taken out student loans. However, any excess is delivered to me (or my parents, but they chose me).

???Am I the only one that does this:??

I'm planning on saving this excess loan money for applying to med schools, and I have even been thinking about an SMP program to do during the year long gap to enhance my application.

Members don't see this ad.

oh yea...i'll also work alot in the summers (job secured)...applying to ~25 med schools is less than 1500 i'm almost sure....

three more years, should be fine...

but saving up for secondaries is not a bad idea

I'm planning on doing that with my loans for this next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will be fine as long as you work during every summer. I have even worked every semester of college and I have just put everything I could afford into savings.

But....I am applying to 17 schools and I am already close $1500 after primaries and 10 secondaries.

Put every last penny into your application fund, it's the way to do it!

you're forgetting about those "other" expenses with applying - interview wear (a good suit can run you a couple hundred dollars at least) including dress shoes, airplane tickets, hotel costs, eating away from home, etc. etc. All told, many folks spend $5-10K applying to med school (including MCAT fees and prep classes). I'm sure there are plenty that spend less than that, but I know one girl that applied for two years and spent over $15K. Not counting her MCAT classes and exam fees.

ShyRem said:
you're forgetting about those "other" expenses with applying - interview wear (a good suit can run you a couple hundred dollars at least) including dress shoes, airplane tickets, hotel costs, eating away from home, etc. etc. All told, many folks spend $5-10K applying to med school (including MCAT fees and prep classes). I'm sure there are plenty that spend less than that, but I know one girl that applied for two years and spent over $15K. Not counting her MCAT classes and exam fees.

A couple hundred for a suit? More like six!

I did say "at least". you can get a reasonable suit at JCPenney's, but personally I bought a *good* suit for my husband that cost over $1000. Worth it - the wool is fabulous, the color wonderful, the tailoring superb. And it'll last him for years.

Having said that, though - I was looking for women's suits (yeah, try getting a woman's suit in a store that's NOT polyester), and ended up purchasing my wool, linen, and silk suits on ebay for less than $20 each. Yup. No kidding. And three of them I got for less than $10. They look wonderful, and I really prefer the natural fabrics.