Using MGIB or Post 9/11 after Active Duty to Specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDDDS2011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a dentist use the MGIB or Post 9/11 bill to specialize after their active duty committment?

I am an HPSP recipient and would like to specialize after my active duty committment. Since my years as active duty are to pay back my HPSP scholarship, does this disqualify me from those benefits?

If I do a VA program, can I receive the VA salary/stipend and use Post 9/11?

If any knows the answers to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

great question that i would also like an answer to.

Can a dentist use the MGIB or Post 9/11 bill to specialize after their active duty committment?

I am an HPSP recipient and would like to specialize after my active duty committment. Since my years as active duty are to pay back my HPSP scholarship, does this disqualify me from those benefits?

If I do a VA program, can I receive the VA salary/stipend and use Post 9/11?

If any knows the answers to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I did HPSP and will be using the Post 9/11 GI Bill to attend residency training. I know of at least one other person who has done so and already completed his ortho training. I have heard both yes and no about using Post 9/11 and attending a VA program at the same time. I don't know the answer, and since there is no VA ortho program, I never really researched it. I'm guessing you want to be endo.

Anyway, as good of a deal as that is, it would be even better if you did a military residency because there will be no tuition, you'll get paid a full salary and benefits, and your commitment will be concurrent, not consecutive, if you go to training right after dental school. So that is a better deal. However, if that doesn't appeal to you it's nice to fall back on the Post 9/11 GI bill.

Heads up, at some schools the Post 9/11 GI Bill is more like a coupon than a scholarship while at other's it's practically a full ride. Let me explain. If you get accepted at a state school (public vs private) they will pay 100% of the tuition and fees plus your BAH as an E-5 with dependents at the rate of an in-state student. If you are an out-of-state student you have to pay the difference between the in-state and out-of-state tuition and fees. If the program is public and charges the same fee for in-state and out-of-state students, your program is free! For instance, UNLV is a public school. They charge like $200K for the entire program whether you're in-state or not. You get a full ride there. If you go to a private school, they will only pay up to $20K a year for tuition and fees. If they're charging $100K, basically you got a coupon for 20% off.

However, some private schools participate in what's called the yellow ribbon program. In this program, the private school can offer to contribute any amount they want towards the remainder of your tuition and fees and the VA will match it. Some private schools offer nothing, some a paltry $2,000 a year but others offer $10K, $20K, and a few offer UNLIMITED meaning you will pay no tuition or fees. This was the case at University of Pittsburg, Seton Hill University, and I think Detroit Mercy or University of Detroit. I can't remember which. Anyway, that can be a sweet deal too.

Lastly, you need to remember that you can sign up to join the reserves or national guard during your residency so that you can get paid a $25K bonus per year. I'll explain more about this if you inquire. This is long enough already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info Tooth.

Please post more information regarding the Reserve option.

You are 100% right about Active Duty Residency training being the way to go financially; however, like you alluded to already, not everyone wants to stay in for the long haul or even an extra few years for training. I am more than halfway through my HPSP payback at this point.

So, if it works out with your program, you're going to want to join the Army Reserves, Navy Reserves, or Army National Guard. I imagine the AF Reserves or Air National Guard can offer this bonus, but I have not met or heard of anyone who actually got it. Basically, you have to sign up for three years of just a weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. You'll get your regular reserve or guard pay plus an annual $25K bonus ($75 total for 3 years). If you have a family it's awesome because your health insurance will only cost $200 a month for everyone. What's also very important is that the Navy, Army and Army National Guard will offer you in writing a two year waiver from involuntary activation if you're coming straight off of active duty. That protects you if you are going to a 2 year residency. If it's a three year program you may not want to risk it.

I was planning on joining the Navy Reserves because I've been in the Navy. But they stopped offering the $25K bonus for now. They dropped it to $15K per year and then they dropped it to a one time $10K bonus. Now they brought back the $25k bonus, but only if you're new to the Navy or perhaps military all together. So I've been working with the Army National Guard and will hopefully get in. Otherwise, I'll take the Army. These bonuses seem to change multiple times throughout a year, so you never know just what's going to be available. Make sure you read your contract.

I spoke with recruiters from the AF Reserves and Air National Guard. They don't offer the bonus or the 2 year waiver from involuntary activation at this time.

So, you just have to keep this in mind when you're accepted somewhere as to whether this would be a good idea for you.

Some programs don't allow you to moonlight, but this isn't really moonlighting. 2 days a month? on the weekend?

They will let you out of your 2 week training while you're in school too, so don't let that bother you. But if it works with your program, go ahead and do it to get paid. My program tells me they can work with me.