Using names in secondary essays

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by K271, Oct 15, 2002.

1. K271

K271 Member

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but when we are writing essays about our experiences, is it appropriate to use a patient's real name? If not, how should I write about them? Is something such as "Mr. A" good enough? Thanks in advance...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

first names work well i think (The real ones, so you don't forget who they are talking about when they bring up your fake name) - thats what i've used, and its working out

4. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

Most schools prefer you use the patient's social security number, leaving out the two dashes.

5. jot

jot

:laugh:

way to try and kill thousands of applications canem. thats not ethical. ;)

6. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

i was told not to use real names....but i think that applies more to last names. i agree with Mr. A or just using first names for patients (Dr. A or things like that for doctors).

good luck! :)

7. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

Haha, sorry.

K271, in health care, you shouldnt use a patient's full name outside of the clincal setting, because of patient confidentiality. Nicknames are good.

8. neuromd03

neuromd03 Banned
    Banned

Attending Physician

Yes, do not use the patient's real name. Use Ms. A or Mr. A or something of the like. You do not want to violate patient confidentiality. It's a major no-no!

9. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

This is key. At least when you say "John" or "Mrs. G," and it's their real name, you have a much better chance of remembering whom you wrote about.