Using names in secondary essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K271

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but when we are writing essays about our experiences, is it appropriate to use a patient's real name? If not, how should I write about them? Is something such as "Mr. A" good enough? Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

first names work well i think (The real ones, so you don't forget who they are talking about when they bring up your fake name) - thats what i've used, and its working out

Most schools prefer you use the patient's social security number, leaving out the two dashes.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:

way to try and kill thousands of applications canem. thats not ethical. ;)

i was told not to use real names....but i think that applies more to last names. i agree with Mr. A or just using first names for patients (Dr. A or things like that for doctors).

good luck! :)

Haha, sorry.

K271, in health care, you shouldnt use a patient's full name outside of the clincal setting, because of patient confidentiality. Nicknames are good.

Originally posted by K271
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but when we are writing essays about our experiences, is it appropriate to use a patient's real name? If not, how should I write about them? Is something such as "Mr. A" good enough? Thanks in advance...

Yes, do not use the patient's real name. Use Ms. A or Mr. A or something of the like. You do not want to violate patient confidentiality. It's a major no-no!

Originally posted by jot
first names work well i think (The real ones, so you don't forget who they are talking about when they bring up your fake name) - thats what i've used, and its working out

This is key. At least when you say "John" or "Mrs. G," and it's their real name, you have a much better chance of remembering whom you wrote about.