using # of singles in area as med school selection criteria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobalt314

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those deciding between schools in different locations, is anyone considering using the # of singles in the area (or more generally, potential for finding a significant other during your years in med school) as a selection criteria?

Here's a map and the article it came with:
1206808144_5800.jpg

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/i..._singles_map_of_the_united_states_of_america/

Members don't see this ad.

this chart also doubles as a tracking map for STD prevalence.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is the way that girls and med school thread started.

west coast--mostly men
east coast-mostly women

:( allopatric speciation (the only thing i remember from MCAT:laugh:)

Personally I go by # of hot nurses, but that's just me....

So if you are a typical nerdy male med student at UCSD, you basically have no chance in the mating game. I rest my case.

This is not really a good way to pick your med school...considering there are singles everywhere you go for the most part (unless you go to some cave somewhere in the midwest). The problem is not availability of singles but more TIME to meet them. You'll have better success going to a school with a more laid-back environment so you have more of said time. Go somewhere you'll have fun and enjoy yourself. Assuming you have game, the singles will be there waiting :smuggrin:

it's very reasonable to expect you meet the person you marry in med school. thanks for the chart.

One more reason why it is awesome to live in NYC (from a guy's perspective), even if your apartment's a closet.

according to this map, california is practically one huge sausage fest.

There could be a big blue blob covering the whole map of the U.S. and it wouldn't do me any good, I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not really a good way to pick your med school...considering there are singles everywhere you go for the most part (unless you go to some cave somewhere in the midwest). The problem is not availability of singles but more TIME to meet them. You'll have better success going to a school with a more laid-back environment so you have more of said time. Go somewhere you'll have fun and enjoy yourself. Assuming you have game, the singles will be there waiting :smuggrin:

Considering we'll be med students no matter where we go, time availability really isn't variable and is a non-factor in this formula.

On the other hand, if you want to up your chances, you can always come to miami...that's never a bad choice...

South_beach_miami_at_night.jpg

There's LOTS of good stuff here, but that one's up to you...

Wow, I was just looking at that graphic earlier today. I think it is a huge issue for us.

I think it is troubling not only because of the absolute number of potential mates. In addition, you need to worry about the laws of supply and demand.

For example, I've heard that in Alaska, the women aren't easy on the eyes. However, because they are in short supply, they have a warped sense of how good they look.

And, after all, we know that women can be happy marrying an ugly spouse, but that is not true for men: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyl...when_shes_hot__hes_not_theres_better_sho.html

On the other hand, if you want to up your chances, you can always come to miami...that's never a bad choice...

There's LOTS of good stuff here, but that one's up to you...

No thank you. I've been to South Beach. I think I'll just feel left out.

Well now, seems to the Cali I do:D I have family there anyway *note to self go live with uncle and aunts for a while and establish Cali residency*

Either that or Dallas is looking pretty good right now. Already have Texas residency:D

wooo! single women in st. louis!

u.s. news actually uses this information when determining research and primary care rankings - i think they weight it as heavily as $ of NIH funding/faculty.

Wow, its really CREEPY that there appears to be a trend in the gender differences!

West of the Mississippi (and FL haha): Men
East of the Mississippi: Women

unfortunately, an abundance of singles doesn't always result in dating success &@&^%! (<--Supposed to represent a curse word)

Miami also has the highest population density of AIDS in the country. But hey come down here! :laugh:

u.s. news actually uses this information when determining research and primary care rankings - i think they weight it as heavily as $ of NIH funding/faculty.
They should use it; the results would be more objective.

west coast--mostly men
east coast-mostly women

:( allopatric speciation (the only thing i remember from MCAT:laugh:)

did you just make men and women different species?

I work at a med school in LA and all the women (even the med school students) are taken, mostly married.

I went to NYC this winter and found a large number of single women

I wouldnt make a choice off of this but it would be taken into consideration

did you just make men and women different species?

YES, from this map, it looks like men and women are slowly separating/mutating into different species. i wouldn't be surprised if soon, both genders would be "REPRODUCTIVELY ISOLATED.":scared::scared::scared: NO INTERBREEDING.

So if you are a typical nerdy male med student at UCSD, you basically have no chance in the mating game. I rest my case.

Well, UCSD is close to hillcrest, which has a gay community almost as large as san francisco the last I heard...

But on a more serious note, the reason why san diego has so many single men is becuase of all the illegal and legal immigrant workers who come across the border looking for a way to raise their family on the other side of the border.

Don't know why new york would have so may single women though.... must say something about how desirable they are hahahahaha...

From my experiences (living on the east and west coast), I feel that hotter girls are more prevalent in the west than the east.

Knowing this, we can treat this with evolution and "fitness" in mind. The east coast has uglier girls, so no one chooses them, making the single girl rate high. The west coast has hotter girls, so they are taken quickly, making the single girl rate low.

From my experiences (living on the east and west coast), I feel that hotter girls are more prevalent in the west than the east.

Knowing this, we can treat this with evolution and "fitness" in mind. The east coast has uglier girls, so no one chooses them, making the single girl rate high. The west coast has hotter girls, so they are taken quickly, making the single girl rate low.

no, ur theory is wrong: if no one takes ugly east coast single girls, then there should be equal amount of single guys on the east coast, but that is not the case///

Nope, never considered it.

And apparently there are lots of young single people here, now that I'm in residency, but I'm usually so busy it doesn't matter anyway!

This is why I love Richard Florida. That guy must be a hit at parties...

Perhaps since on the west coast it's hotter so you wear less clothes and want to look good in your clothes, makeup, etc. On the east it's ice cold so no one cares how they look they just want to bundle up, wear more suits, etc.

I think the east has more women because of "career" women which is why their all single by choice

hah.. I'm going from a big blue spot to a big beige one.

so I was in Chiptole getting my lunch (At UCB), and the 10 person in front of me and the ten person behind me were in fact,

dudes.

:laugh:
i think the same goes for handsome single men;)

I think folks are missing the point that a lot of people on this chart are single for a good reason. So the places with the most single people (of whichever sex) might also be the places with the most undesirable, homely, headcases. So you might really want to go someplace where everybody gets snapped up fast rather than a place where you can join the ranks of the forever passed over.

I think folks are missing the point that a lot of people on this chart are single for a good reason. So the places with the most single people (of whichever sex) might also be the places with the most undesirable, homely, headcases. So you might really want to go someplace where everybody gets snapped up fast rather than a place where you can join the ranks of the forever passed over.

since when did people start assuming that single=ugly/undesirable?
i am not a spokesperson for single people, but c'mon, this is a HUGE stereotype.:(

Single and undesirable? I have not yet meet those girls, all the girls I met seem to be single and DO NOT want to settle down.

this entire thread is the stuidest thing i've ever read. the OP should be banned for this.

I think that girls on the East Coast walk more, especially in cities like New York and Boston, spend less time in cars, and generally have better looking and more muscular butts because of the extra exercise than girls on the West Coast. I could be wrong, but that is my impression. I think that this is also true for med students. So the message is clear - drive less and have a better butt.