Using one of my 3 most meaningful experiences in my PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikbc2020

Reaction score
I would like to use my clinical volunteering experience in my personal statement. However, I will probably be listing this experience as one my 3 most meaningful in the AMCAS experience section. Is this a bad idea? How do I make sure that they don't overlap? Should I just pick another meaningful experience so that I can use this clinical experience in my PS?

Members don't see this ad.

I did this and it worked out fine-- basically I just approached the subject differently based on the context. In my PS, for example, I used my clinical volunteering as a jumping-off-point for answering "Why medicine?" in a more artistic/creative way, whereas in my "most meaningful" essay I wrote more about my specific duties, most poignant memories, and skills I thought I gained from it.

It's fine. Just don't be too repetitive. I did something similar. (For me it wasn't a clinical experience though, it was another activity).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to use my clinical volunteering experience in my personal statement. However, I will probably be listing this experience as one my 3 most meaningful in the AMCAS experience section. Is this a bad idea? How do I make sure that they don't overlap? Should I just pick another meaningful experience so that I can use this clinical experience in my PS?
Besides the above comments, also take care to use anecdotes that are different in each section and to switch up the vocabulary you use.

Also keep in mind that the same reviewer may not have access to both portions of your application, so be sure that whatever you say can stand alone without the information elsewhere provided.

Reactions: 1 users
If the PS looks at it from the perspective of why you/why medicine and the most meaningful looks at it from what did I do/what did I learn, then this is perfectly fine.