Using online classes as entry requirements

Dazen

Clinical PhD Student
2+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2018
    Hi y'all!

I don't have an academic background in psychology, though I do have significant research experience and a full-time job providing care to my POI. I was planning to take a few classes through ASU's online program to meet basic requirements for Clinical PhD programs (Intro to Psych, Statistics, Research Methods, Abnormal Psych), giving me 25 credits. I know that online courses are generally not seen as favorably as in-person classes, but given the current COVID situation, do you think these would be acceptable to check those boxes, assuming I do well in them?

Thanks

PsychPsyance

7+ Year Member
    May 28, 2012
    1. Psychologist
      I assume you have a non-psych degree that wasn't obtained online, and are just looking to get a few psych courses to meet admissions requirements. If this is the case, I don't think anyone will care that you took these few courses online, especially considering the state we're in. If I'm being honest, I've ever even noticed if a person's credits were earned online vs in-person (unless the degree came from an obvious degree mill).

Reactions: 1 users

Dazen

Clinical PhD Student
      2+ Year Member
      Nov 14, 2018
        Thanks for the answer! Yes, I have an undergraduate degree in engineering and want to fulfill my last few credit/course requirements while working full-time, so it's the easiest way to go. Wanted to make sure it was also worthwhile before committing the time and money, sinceI'm only looking to check those boxes for my applications.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
        Volunteer Staff
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Gold Member
        Dec 25, 2008
          I assume you have a non-psych degree that wasn't obtained online, and are just looking to get a few psych courses to meet admissions requirements. If this is the case, I don't think anyone will care that you took these few courses online, especially considering the state we're in. If I'm being honest, I've ever even noticed if a person's credits were earned online vs in-person (unless the degree came from an obvious degree mill).
          Agreed; shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.