Using "optional" sections on secondary to express interest in school?

born2run

2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Is it harmful or beneficial to use optional sections that ask for us to "Please provide any additional information that you'd like the ADCOMs to consider" as a way to express particular interest in the school's curriculum or explain how you think you'd be a good fit (if there wasn't an opportunity to do this for other prompts)? Or does this come off as unprofessional?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

fawkes94

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Would not writing anything for the optional additional information essay look lazy, or should we include our diversity essay if the school didn't already ask for it?

tjo422

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
After reading a lot on SDN, I've come to the conclusion that these spaces are really just used to address any outstanding info (weakness on app, ties to the area, etc) and shouldn't be used to insert a pre-prepared essay. If adcoms wanted another essay they'd ask for it. No one will fault you for not writing anything, considering how much adcoms already need to read in a given cycle. I've left them blank on all my secondaries and have gotten interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: WedgeDawg and Goro

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
We already know you're interested.
If there is some atypical situation where you have not previously mentioned some strong ties/connections/reasons for that school, it may be appropriate to do so. However, you should have included these things elsewhere in a strongly-written, well-crafted secondary.

Reactions: gyngyn and Goro

liquidcrawler

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2015
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
My fiance attends the school for audiology. Is that an appropriate thing to include in this section? I'm not sure if it is worth including.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
My fiance attends the school for audiology. Is that an appropriate thing to include in this section? I'm not sure if it is worth including.
for what reason?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Having a local support system is a reasonable thing to mention. But I suggest you should precede it with mention of specific aspects of the school that particularly appeal to you, eg, Why does the curriculum appeal to you? Why are you a good fit?