USING PHYSICS TEXT BOOK FOR REVIEW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests,

Has anyone used their text books: Physics/Chem to review; especially if they have been away from pre-reqs a long while or just didn't grasp the material first time and now review books don't help much?

Thanks guys...

+ did it work?

Members don't see this ad.

As the title suggests,

Has anyone used their text books: Physics/Chem to review; especially if they have been away from pre-reqs a long while or just didn't grasp the material first time and now review books don't help much?

Thanks guys...

+ did it work?

While it seems like it may be a good idea since you might need that extra layer of review, it may only serve to take up extra time and energy of learning unnecessary concepts that are not tested on the MCAT. My suggestion if you need some extra guidance outside of a prep book would be to find a set of videos that work for you (Kahn academy, Chad's videos, wikipremed, etc..) and use those first to solidify some conceptual understandings, then reading through your prep book will become easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Tbs go in to wayyy too much detail..use tbr..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if you find yourself really weak in the topic and the review books aren't doing it justice.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the title suggests,

Thanks guys...

+ did it work?

Bad idea. Sorry to say.

One of the reasons excellent intelligent students sometimes get lousy MCAT scores is because they fail to prioritize. What I mean by "fail to prioritize" is wasting time studying a whole bunch of stuff NOT on the MCAT, instead of focusing on what's important (topics what WILL BE TESTED). A good MCAT prep book will ONLY include the information that MCAT tests so you don't waste your time on anything else. Some of the best MCAT prep books, like Examkrackers, make a point to include more of, and/or specifically point out, the topics that are tested frequently based on their research.

Now if you only intended to use the textbook as a supplement or a reference book, that might work. If you intended to go down AAMC's list of topics on the MCAT using a textbook to explain those, you will probably be doing extra work and maybe missing points as well. Textbooks are not as good as MCAT prep books by far (for the purpose of MCAT prep).

In addition to MCAT prep books, I've found free online videos/websites designed for MCAT prep to be quite helpful:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1247592/

Last edited: