This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emmdeee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did exactly that during physics and O chem. I borrowed books from my big sib and used them as study guides during my classes. It worked so well that I bought my own books for my last quarter of each of those classes. I actually ended up learning way more from my TBR books than I did from my physics professor or his reader. It was helpful in O Chem too, but my class covered some things not in the TBR books. Make sure to cross reference AAMC with your course syllabus.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a late start on the pre-med train, so I am a year behind on my science pre-reqs compared to every other pre-med in my class.
It's good that you're taking orgo I and II this summer, but don't compare yourself with other people's situation. Do it what's best for your plan, calendar, study pace, etc.
Basically my question is if anyone has any opinions or experience about using my physics classes as an MCAT Physics study course? And same with bio, and eventually BioChem when I take it in the spring (with of course practice materials and FL’s, etc being thrown into the mix as well).
If you do good in your pre-reqs, then you'll just have to review the material instead of learning it from scratch. College books usually cover material in greater detail than you need for the MCAT. Review books are usually more succinct. It's key to study and understand the concepts, especially those that are high-yield material.
I’m looking into taking it end of May, so it gives me 2-3 weeks out of school to go IN.
If you plan to apply next year, you can still push the MCAT it a little bit further (e.g. early June) to allow yourself 4-5 weeks of full-time preparation after having learned/reviewed the material the previous months (practice questions, practice tests, reviewing as necessary).
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I currently have the 2013 MCAT Prep-book. In 2015 or 2016 they added 2 more subjects into the test; biochemistry and psychology. Should I keep the rest of the 5 books I have now and just buy the 2 books added into the test? Or should I buy all new set of prep books?

Not sure what books you are referring to but save your money. If you think those sections in BioChem are important (they definitely are) I would buy just that book. They have them for dirt cheap online from libraries that closed or students that are done with them (ebay is your friend). But for the most part, most if not all topics haven't changed in that two years so I doubt it is worth buying them all. Also, do not think buying the Psych book is worth it, as most people that do well on that section pretty much just use the Khan Academy doc + premed95 Anki deck.
I was referring to the biochem and psych books. Thanks! I saved myself 100+ dollars.