Using priceline and other trip planners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to use priceline, but they dont let you specify an approx. time when the flight departs.

For example, at Pitt I have an interview for 10/1 and 10/2 (2 days required for MD/PhD). So I was going to schedule a return flight for 10/2. However, I have some interviews on that day so I need to be able to specify an approximate time when I can leave (i.e. after 6 PM). I'd rather not schedule the departure for 10/3 because that would mean I would miss an entire day of class, which would be unnecessary and penalize me for attendance.

Do any of these online places let me specify an approximate departure time (or place restrictions on times) or do I have to go directly to the airline websites?

Members don't see this ad.

Trip.com lets you specify times.

check out orbitz.com and expedia.com, just booked my flight to new orleans yesterday on expedia and it was the cheapest price i could find and could configure good flight times!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't use hotwire or priceline if you have specific departure or arrival times UNLESS you can arrive the day before and leave the day after the interview. Which might, because of hotel and car, make the difference in price of plane tix irrelevant. Compare prices at orbitz.com (often cheapest), expedia, travelocity, cheaptickets, and your favorite major or discount airline sites (sometimes there are great promotions or web deals, and some flights on cheapie airlines aren't listed elsewhere). Good luck!

what's a good deal for most round trip tickets? i booked one (st.louis to new orleans for $255 through Southwest)...is this good, or are you guys finding ones much cheaper.

i need a one way to college station (practically no airlines fly there) and the lowest i could find was $145 for ONE way!

i dont know bout u guys, but im definitely starting to run low on funds after amcas, 2ndaries, now flights...so are the two prices i listed good, or did i get ripped off? how much did you guys pay for tickets??

peace

I paid $160 for a round trip ticket to New Orleans from Austin, Texas (airline: Continental). I'm originally from St. Louis and I think you are in a bad city for airfares right now with TWA going belly up. If you need a one way ticket, your only option is pretty much Southwest. I'm pretty sure they are the only airline that does not heavily penalize you for buying a one way ticket in lieu of a round trip ticket. Don't know about College Station and airlines. Southwest goes to pretty much every little town in Texas so that would be my first choice; I assume you got an interview at A&M. Pretty impressive since you are a non-resident. I've flown from St. Louis to Houston many times, and if memory serves it cost me about $150, so I think you are getting a good deal. The $255 sounds a little high though for the ticket to New Orleans (Tulane). I would think you could get that down closer to $200.

You should also check out sta.com and counciltravel.com

They both specialize in student fares and I've found that they can often be cheaper than orbitz and expedia--and you can specify times too!

Not to sound like an ad, but I've had a good experience with cheaptickets.com. From NYC to west coast r/t for $265. You can specify times and etc.

I booked a ticket from CA to Houston, TX for $192 on Southwest. They frequently have special deals so I would definitely check their site. Also, Jetblue has good rates but they don't service as many areas. I've flown on them before from CA to NY for $230 and they are direct flight to.

thanks for the input everyone

georgey--yeah, my interview is at A&M...actually i am a tx. resident, im just going to school in st.louis...oh and southwest does not fly to college station unfortunately, so i had to book continental :rolleyes: ...im trying to schedule as many of my interviews together as possible, so i can just fly to tx. a few times instead of like 6 or 7...