Using same secondaries as before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacrossegirl420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a re-applicant, is it okay to use the same secondaries for a school in which you felt your essays were especially strong? For one particular school I was waitlisted at (I'm guessing because of my stats), I got several positive comments regarding my secondary essays at the interview and feel like they still represent who I am today and what my goals are very well. Assuming the other parts of my app are changed and updated, is it fine to leave the secondary as it was before?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
You weren’t admitted to the school. Unless you KNOW it was your interview, suspect your secondaries played a role and rewrite

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Part of admissions is managing perceptions. Expect adcoms to access your prior application - how would you anticipate someone would respond when they notice your secondary essays are identical to the prior year? I would rework them.

Reactions: 4 users
As a re-applicant, is it okay to use the same secondaries for a school in which you felt your essays were especially strong? For one particular school I was waitlisted at (I'm guessing because of my stats), I got several positive comments regarding my secondary essays at the interview and feel like they still represent who I am today and what my goals are very well. Assuming the other parts of my app are changed and updated, is it fine to leave the secondary as it was before?
In an entire year nothing has changed? You have nothing further to add?

You don't think that reusing the all of the same essays is being lazy?

And yes, the screeners and Admissions deans do look at previous apps. This is why I advise people to rewrite all essays.

BTW, if you had a horrible interview, they're not going ot come out and say that. They'll mention essays...or at best, say "work on interview skills" (which you should do anyway).

Reusing an essay from past classes is considered plagiarism correct? Why would you think it's smart to do while applying to medical school, serious question.
Is it plagiarism? It’s your intellectual property if you wrote it. It just may not be smart if the essay wasn’t good, didn’t answer the prompt for the new class or (as is more relevant here) wasn’t received particularly well by its audience

Is it plagiarism? It’s your intellectual property if you wrote it. It just may not be smart if the essay wasn’t good, didn’t answer the prompt for the new class or (as is more relevant here) wasn’t received particularly well by its audience

May not be 'plagiarism' legally but at my uni it is still punished to same extent. I think reusing an old essay should always be a big no-no. Reading over it and getting some ideas from past writing, now thats another story.

May not be 'plagiarism' legally but at my uni it is still punished to same extent. I think reusing an old essay should always be a big no-no. Reading over it and getting some ideas from past writing, now thats another story.
It may be cheating from an academic policy, but is definitely not plagariasm. Unless the school tells you it’s a no-no for secondaries I don’t see an issue

It may be cheating from an academic policy, but is definitely not plagariasm. Unless the school tells you it’s a no-no for secondaries I don’t see an issue
To clarify, I said earlier I thought it was a bad idea and should be rewritten by OP. But I don’t think that was the issue. I think the issue was that there’s a reason OP wasn’t admitted and the new app needs to be different