Using 'SN2ed' 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SH3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am re-taking my MCAT this summer as last summer I scored a 30S (10P, 11B, 9V) using Kaplan. I have taken my entire summer off excluding a part time job two nights a week. I've decided to use SN2ed's study schedule. I've read all the threads on the study schedule and plan on ordering my books within the next few weeks. Anything new I should keep in mind that has recently helped others and isn't already mentioned in those threads?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am re-taking my MCAT this summer as last summer I scored a 30S (10P, 11B, 9V) using Kaplan. I have taken my entire summer off excluding a part time job two nights a week. I've decided to use SN2ed's study schedule. I've read all the threads on the study schedule and plan on ordering my books within the next few weeks. Anything new I should keep in mind that has recently helped others and isn't already mentioned in those threads?

Yes, order your TBR books two weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ever open your BR biology for content review. It's ridiculous.

Yea, I was planning on sticking to the EK Bio Info and just use the BR Bio passages like was mentioned in his posts. I used Kaplan Bio my last time around and found it to be alright in terms of the level of knowledge of bio I needed for the MCAT. Thanks for the heads up though.

Make sure you don't get behind. I got behind for a few days and it was a monster to catch up. I had a few light days off, so it wasn't a big deal, but you have to catch up. Don't get behind!

Make sure you don't get behind. I got behind for a few days and it was a monster to catch up. I had a few light days off, so it wasn't a big deal, but you have to catch up. Don't get behind!

Mmmm, good point. The schedule requires dedication so thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind.

Order books now!

I started the sn2 schedule late December. Taking the exam 4/28. Here are some problems I found:

First, reviewing orgo the first week is a waste of time if you aren't solid with acid base chemistry, e.g., pka values. I'd suggest starting with gen chem, ch 3 and ch 4 the first week. Those cover acids bases and equilibrium. Do that and you'll understand orgo better and quicker.

The schedule gives equal time for each BR chapter. This is a huge flaw. I'm strong at physics. Reading a physics ch and doing the passages would take me a few hours. Some bio chapters took me three days to fully comprehend. That's just me though. I think everyone will need two days to study the carbonyl chapter and nitro chapter from orgo. Reviewing all carbonyl chemistry in one day is unrealistic. Definitely change the schedule so you spend two days reading those chapters.

TBR bio passages assume you have memorized the amino acids and hormones. Memorizing them before you start studying will save you time.

Don't depend entirely on mcat books for content review. Ive used old textbooks and khan academy to review content I'm very weak at. Khan academy is amazing. Also if you are near a college campus, bring your questions to professors.

Unrelated to sn2, but staying happy while studying is also important. I try to exercise every day if possible and drink (in moderation) at the bar with friends 3-4 nights a week.

Order books now!

I started the sn2 schedule late December. Taking the exam 4/28. Here are some problems I found:

First, reviewing orgo the first week is a waste of time if you aren't solid with acid base chemistry, e.g., pka values. I'd suggest starting with gen chem, ch 3 and ch 4 the first week. Those cover acids bases and equilibrium. Do that and you'll understand orgo better and quicker.

The schedule gives equal time for each BR chapter. This is a huge flaw. I'm strong at physics. Reading a physics ch and doing the passages would take me a few hours. Some bio chapters took me three days to fully comprehend. That's just me though. I think everyone will need two days to study the carbonyl chapter and nitro chapter from orgo. Reviewing all carbonyl chemistry in one day is unrealistic. Definitely change the schedule so you spend two days reading those chapters.

TBR bio passages assume you have memorized the amino acids and hormones. Memorizing them before you start studying will save you time.

Don't depend entirely on mcat books for content review. Ive used old textbooks and khan academy to review content I'm very weak at. Khan academy is amazing. Also if you are near a college campus, bring your questions to professors.

Unrelated to sn2, but staying happy while studying is also important. I try to exercise every day if possible and drink (in moderation) at the bar with friends 3-4 nights a week.

Wow, a lot of useful info.

When I get my books I'll quickly skim through the first few orgo chapters and see if I need to refresh in acid/base chem before I dive into it.

I plan on using the EK BIO as the plan suggests so that should cut down on time studying content for the bio section but, i will definitely take your advice in scheduling more time for some physics sections.

Some people, myself included, ditched the EK 1001 questions after a while. I felt that they took too much time for the limited benefit they provided me. In the books themselves, the authors state that if you're scoring 10 or higher in the respective sections, you don't really need them. However, some people still find them helpful, just something to think about.

I also found that during the last month, it was more beneficial to spend extra time on reviewing my practice AAMCs and less time on doing practice passages. I ended up not doing all the 3/3 passages during the final phase. Again, this is only a suggestion and an opinion, but it's something you might consider.

Also, do not neglect organic chemistry or underestimate it. I was expecting 13-14 on BS but my MCAT had some really tough ochem passages that, while I was somewhat ready for, still hit me hard (I got an 11 for BS so it was still ok). Davcro's advice about acids/bases is solid. You really won't understand amino acids without going through the Gen Chem Acid/Base chapter first, unless you're already solid on your Gen Chem.

Don't ever use a calculator while studying. Become a calculator in human form.

Use your judgment when determining how much time to spend on a chapter. Be sure to allow yourself some buffer time. I spent 2 extra days on the acids/bases and buffers/titrations chapters because I was so weak on that topic. Got a 14 on the PS eventually so it paid off.

Some people, myself included, ditched the EK 1001 questions after a while. I felt that they took too much time for the limited benefit they provided me. In the books themselves, the authors state that if you're scoring 10 or higher in the respective sections, you don't really need them. However, some people still find them helpful, just something to think about.

I also found that during the last month, it was more beneficial to spend extra time on reviewing my practice AAMCs and less time on doing practice passages. I ended up not doing all the 3/3 passages during the final phase. Again, this is only a suggestion and an opinion, but it's something you might consider.

Also, do not neglect organic chemistry or underestimate it. I was expecting 13-14 on BS but my MCAT had some really tough ochem passages that, while I was somewhat ready for, still hit me hard (I got an 11 for BS so it was still ok). Davcro's advice about acids/bases is solid. You really won't understand amino acids without going through the Gen Chem Acid/Base chapter first, unless you're already solid on your Gen Chem.

Don't ever use a calculator while studying. Become a calculator in human form.

Use your judgment when determining how much time to spend on a chapter. Be sure to allow yourself some buffer time. I spent 2 extra days on the acids/bases and buffers/titrations chapters because I was so weak on that topic. Got a 14 on the PS eventually so it paid off.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I've already bought the EK 1001 books but, I feel that the questions will just help nail down concepts better hopefully. I only recieved a 10 in PS last time I took the MCAT so I feel like those questions can still help me. Although to help out with extra time on certain topics from BR, I will end up passing over some of the EK 1001 questions.

I haven't considered how much time it will take me to review the AAMC tests but thanks for the heads up on possibly spending more time reviewing and less time on the practice passages closer to my MCAT date.

I think my knowledge of Gen Chem is fine, but I've slightly reorganized the schedule to allow me to study Acids/Bases before I go over the Organic Chem, just in case.

Thanks again for all the tips! Having people confirm that this method works has already boosted my confidence in using it.

I'm on day 53 of the SN2ed schedule so I'm about to start the days where it just says "1/3 chapter 3" and then the next day it says "1/3 chapter 3" also. Does that mean split up the last 1/3 into two days, like do the last bio 1/3 and o-chem 1/3 on one day and then the next day do the physics 1/3 and gen chem 1/3? Also I'm not sure that doing the hat trick is going to help me, I'm thinking about just re-reading the chapters all over again, has anyone done that or does the hat trick really help? Thanks

Some people, myself included, ditched the EK 1001 questions after a while. I felt that they took too much time for the limited benefit they provided me.

THIS!!!

I felt the explanations were unhelpful which wasted so much time. If you do them, do them after you've done everything else in the study plan so that you don't need their explanations.

THIS!!!

I felt the explanations were unhelpful which wasted so much time. If you do them, do them after you've done everything else in the study plan so that you don't need their explanations.

Haha gotcha!

I'm on day 53 of the SN2ed schedule so I'm about to start the days where it just says "1/3 chapter 3" and then the next day it says "1/3 chapter 3" also. Does that mean split up the last 1/3 into two days, like do the last bio 1/3 and o-chem 1/3 on one day and then the next day do the physics 1/3 and gen chem 1/3? Also I'm not sure that doing the hat trick is going to help me, I'm thinking about just re-reading the chapters all over again, has anyone done that or does the hat trick really help? Thanks

I'd look over the most updated version of the schedule and read over the extra notes.