• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Using the same letter of recommendation(s)?

DaymanNightman

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question, but I have a question in regards to the letters of recommendation. If the question sounds really stupid, I apologize because I have not required any letters of recommendation for my undergraduate school and this is sort of new to me. I am applying a dozen (more like 20 schools) But can you use the same letter of recommendation(s) when applying to multiple schools? If not, would I have to lessen the number of schools I can apply or should I make friends with more professors and/or doctors?

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
    Jan 21, 2012
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      You re-use letters, but you don't have to do it yourself. You submit your letters once to AMCAS and they send them to all the schools you select.

About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 2006
      The Other Side of the Portal
      1. Attending Physician
        If you are applying to both MD and DO schools, you want your letter writers to know that so they don't say, "I think that DaymanNightman would be a wonderful addition to any Osteopathic Medical School Class" as you don't want to send the same letter to an Allopathic school (and v.v.). So long as the letter uses a more generic reference, you can have it sent to all the schools that ask for a letter of that type (eg, science faculty, nonscience faculty, research PI, peer, volunteer coordinator, physician, etc.) MD schools rarely ask for a physician letter, BTW, and won't care about the letters after the doc's name. Some DO schools are very picky, though, that you include a DO's letter.

Many colleges have a letter service that will collect them for you and send out copies when you're ready to submit them.

ValentineLissar

7+ Year Member
        Jun 3, 2010
          I second Catalystik's comments. When I asked for my MD letter of rec, I made sure the writer knew I was using it to apply to both MD and DO schools. I ended up not using the letter for MD schools, but I wanted to have the option in case. Anyways, I only applied to DO schools that were not picky about the letter writer's creds, but if you want more flexibility to apply to all DO schools, definitely get a letter from a DO.

WorldWiz

Nov 25, 2012
          1. Pre-Medical
            I'm planning on applying to MD and DO simultaneously too, but when I ask my professors for universal LORs, if I need to clarify for them, is the use of the phrases "medical school" or "medical doctor" acceptably universal or too biased toward MD? And I assume any use of the abbreviation MD would not be universal right? Thanks.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 4, 2006
            The Other Side of the Portal
            1. Attending Physician
              I'm planning on applying to MD and DO simultaneously too, but when I ask my professors for universal LORs, if I need to clarify for them, is the use of the phrases "medical school" or "medical doctor" acceptably universal or too biased toward MD?
              They seem acceptably universal to me, but hard core osteopathic doctors/adcomms might prefer the term "physician" over "medical doctor."

And I assume any use of the abbreviation MD would not be universal right? Thanks.
              Correct.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.