Using the words queer/cisgender on secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatica

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a gay applicant and am using words like "queer" and "cisgender" in some of my secondaries but want to know if I should steer clear of these terms... just in case admissions committees might see a negative connotation. I am mostly applying to places around large cities so I think they should have an understanding of those words but, is using a phrase like "through a queer lens" dangerous? Just want to be safe. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I've been opting to use "LGBTQ" rather than "queer" on my secondaries. I definitely use queer in everyday conversation / to describe myself but I have received negative reactions in the past from older folks who aren't used to it (frustrating and invalidating as it is...). If you look at the material schools are putting out, virtually all of them use "LGBTQ" or some other alphabet combo, and you can't go wrong reflecting their own language back at them. That said, speak your truth if you don't think LGBTQ quite covers it!

Also, there's a separate LGBTQ forum on this site that you should definitely check out if an admin doesn't end up moving this post!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
One problem that might arise is that older and/or non-native American faculty members might associate queer with the pejorative that it used to be, and not know that it refers to a community as well as a self-descriptor.

Me personally, I dislike the cis-and transgender descriptors, although whoever coined them had to be a chemist or a geneticist. But mostly importantly, you have to be comfortable in your own skin, and if you are comfortable with those words, use them.

Just don't apply to LUCOM or Loma Linda!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I am a gay applicant and am using words like "queer" and "cisgender" in some of my secondaries but want to know if I should steer clear of these terms... just in case admissions committees might see a negative connotation. I am mostly applying to places around large cities so I think they should have an understanding of those words but, is using a phrase like "through a queer lens" dangerous? Just want to be safe. Thanks!

I would go with LGBTQ for an essay. Something clearly understandable since you can't ascertain the audience beforehand. If you interview, and you are talking with someone whom you feel you have a read on, then I'd feel more free to use "queer" or "cisgender" if you feel like they'll understand what you're saying. Just my 2 cents!

Gotcha. I will avoid these words where I can. It's usually like one word within the greater context of an essay, but I will avoid just in case! Thank you all.