USMC GMO Marine Air wing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly does the GMO of a USMC Air Wing do? (this is not a flight surgery billet). I assume you just take care of the wing, and move with them as they deploy (either in a MEU or independently)???
-

Members don't see this ad.

Terrible job. You'll be the clinic bizzach doing all the real work while the FS are busy playing xbox with the pilots. You're the only doc that doesn't have wings and all of you will be evaluated against each other. Expect to get the worst fitrep in exchange for doing the most (anonymous) work. If you want to work with aviation, do FS. Otherwise avoid. I'm guessing you were dreaming of Miramar. Its really not worth it. This is dated info but one of my residents did this job before she came back and it sounded pretty sucky.

Terrible job. You'll be the clinic bizzach doing all the real work while the FS are busy playing xbox with the pilots. You're the only doc that doesn't have wings and all of you will be evaluated against each other. Expect to get the worst fitrep in exchange for doing the most (anonymous) work. If you want to work with aviation, do FS. Otherwise avoid. I'm guessing you were dreaming of Miramar. Its really not worth it. This is dated info but one of my residents did this job before she came back and it sounded pretty sucky.
thanks for the reply. You might've just saved my ass from a colossal mistake!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for the USMC as a whole, but I know the GMO's at my MAG have a pretty sweet gig. We treat all docs the same (Flight Surgeons and GMO's), meaning we all get 50/50 time (2.5 days of clinic and 2.5 days of "squadron" per week). By nature, GMO's have relatively fewer collateral duties and responsibilities around the squadron, so the GMO's tend to have pretty cush jobs (as do us FS). Typically, flying squadrons will have a designated FS, and the non-flying squadrons may use GMO's due to the FS shortage. For example, MWSS/MACS/LAAD/HQ/etc. As for FitRep, your CO will sign your FitRep as a 1 of 1, so you won't be ranked against anyone. That can be a double edged sword, but at least you won't get "the worst FitRep in exchange for doing the most work." Getting your FMF looks great on uniform and on application/promotion packages.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. If you know what location you're looking at, it's pretty easy to get in touch with the docs there to get the best inside gouge.

As a former MAW GMO, I'll agree with NFS. Though I did spend more time in the clinic than my FS buddies, the job was very straightforward (7:30 - 4pm at the latest) and enjoyable. At least while I was going through, the FS's deployed with their respective flying squadrons. Since my squadron (MALS) sent small dets with the flying squadrons, I stayed behind for my entire time with them.