USMLE 1-Step 1 delay taking the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year medical student and was planning on taking the Step 1 USMLE exam on June 17th, however, I really don't feel ready to take it. I was considering postponing my first rotation (and making it up 4th year) so I could have like an extra 4-5 weeks to study. I was wondering if residencies will look at this negatively during the application process. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt that they will care about anything except the score. I am a DO student & took the USMLE at the end of 3rd year (stupid)....No one ever asked me about it.

Would that also mean you would have less time for electives,vacation and interviews in 4th year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a second year medical student and was planning on taking the Step 1 USMLE exam on June 17th, however, I really don't feel ready to take it. I was considering postponing my first rotation (and making it up 4th year) so I could have like an extra 4-5 weeks to study. I was wondering if residencies will look at this negatively during the application process. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I don't think that you're ever going to feel like you're ready to take this exam. There's just too much information. The question is whether or not you're actually prepared to take this exam-- have you gone through all the material yet? Have you taken any NBME's yet and if so, how are you projected to score?

I guess you have to take into consideration what your goal is, how much you've done, where you and where you are right now. If you've already studied six weeks and scored a 257 on your last NBME, I doubt that you're going to do a lot better. Take the damned thing. If, however, you've only studied 2 weeks, don't have time to pass through First Aid even once, and scored a 175 on your last two NBME's, yeah, I'd postpone the exam.

i just covered first aid in 5 days and i'm slow, so you still have enough time to read it twice. time's a-wasting!

i just covered first aid in 5 days and i'm slow, so you still have enough time to read it twice. time's a-wasting!

Five days? Not so bad. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with my First Aid after all this is over with-- burn it and dance naked around it or have it bronzed and put on my bookshelf.