USMLE 2 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayfish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious on how much the USMLE 2 score actually affect your application for residency. It seems that most of people at my school do not even take the exam until Feb and the score may not even be included in the application. Is USMLE 2 score not that important? Does it mean anything when you are getting ready to apply for a real job someday? Thanks for any comment.

Members don't see this ad.

While I think it can only hurt a solid step one score, it can definately help if you have a mediocre step one, like I had. My step one score was right around average, but my step two score was 20-30 points above average and during many of my interviews they'd say "wow, that is a really great step two score". I think it helped?

Hi there,

I interviewed for a very competitive specialty at some very competitive locations (Hopkins,Mayo,Harvard). In each case, they asked when I took Step II. In each case, the residency director indicated that doing well on Step II could mean the difference in getting a slot versus not getting a slot. They definitely encouraged applicants to take Step II as early as possible. They also indicated that a high Step II does not make up for a poor Step I. They are looking for consistancy here. Good luck,prepare and take Step II early.

I don't think that you can generalize about when to take Step 2, because different specialties have their own priorities. I applied to dermatology, in which Step 1 is king. Step 2 is not considered for granting interviews or for getting a spot. Half of the candidates I met will receive their Match letters before they receive their Step 2 score report. Ortho is the same.

Look at it this way: different medical schools allow their students to take Step 2 at various times of the year. How can you really use the score to compare applicants when entire classes at some medical schools will not have taken the exam until February or March?

Just curious, njbmd, what specialty was stressing your Step 2?

AV

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a lot of encouragment for taking Step II early at all my early interviews in Radiology this year. I still think Step I means more, but if you do as well or better on Step II, it will really make you stand out a little bit more from the people who didn't take Step II yet. I think it can hurt you a lot too if you do worse in Step II compared to Step I though so if you have a great Step I score you're taking a big risk if you take Step II early. I would take it early (if you're ready for it) and just make sure when you fill out your ERAS, don't have the score automatically sent so you can decide to send Step II or not.

Overall, it's just another piece of the application, but I think the Step scores are very important as it's really the only objective pieces of data that the PD have even if I don't like the fact that those scores are so important.

So, does this mean that you can look at your scores and then choose to release them or not?
Im planning on applying for rad onc so I need to get as many things in my favor as possible. Im pretty happy with my step one but I was thinking about taking step II to boost the app. Some of my grades aren't the most impressive either.
It would be ideal to take the test and then decide if you want it released. Any thoughts?
ann

Yes, when you first fill out ERAS the section about USMLE scores, you have to check "no" to the question where it asks if you want any new scores to automatically be sent to residency programs. If you're happy with your score, you can then select to send it to all the residency programs.

Dbiddy, njbmd, Jim... great info, thanks. I'm aiming to study hard while concurrently doing my 3rd year rotations (i.e. having no life) and take Step 2 in mid-August. So y'all feel this is a good idea?