USMLE 6 Attempt for exams ----- Unfair Policy change by the NBME/USMLE folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ja12a

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I request everyone to pls visit the above blogspot and post your comments about this topic over there.
Perhaps we can also discuss this very sensitive topic over here as well.

Many deserving people are suffering....pls Let's all Stand together United to help others in need.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused, 6 times should be more than enough to pass every Step exam.

You can fail each component 1 time and still have enough chances to pass all the Steps if need be.

Sorry bud, you're not gonna get any sympathy here. 5 retakes? What's the point? 1 retake makes it a nightmare to get a residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if one crosses the limit on a particular step component.....due to various reasons (family, health, work, etc). That is what I was referring to.....

Previously when examinees took this exam, this rule did not exist. Hence, they did not have to think that if they failed it, it would be counted towards a 6 attempt limit. It is UNFAIR, and OUTRIGHT INJUSTICE to impose such a rule on them right now. It is like saying you have received x amount of traffic tickets, ok from now onwards anyone who has received 6 tickets or more (whether it be for speeding, or minor traffic violations) will never be able to drive again, AND people who previously got 5 tickets and were not subjected this rule it will apply to them as well. Hence, irrespective of when you took the exam you are suddenly put under the gun.

That is JUST WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON ANYONE! This itself could lead someone to jeopardize their last attempt, no matter how well prepared they are this final time to take the exam.

Someone who knows that all their attempts will be counted towards a particular set number would be much more careful in attempting the exam and will not rush to take it to meet a particular deadline.

There should be some relief, or a separate rule in place for these folks....for instance....Ok from a specific date anyone who takes the exam it will be counted towards a 6 attempt limit. Examinees who took this exam before the attempt limit is introduced will still get the full 6 chances or this rule will not apply to them.

This would be A BIT MORE FAIR.

Our country was established on the very principles of equality, justice and compassion. We are always fighting to make things right for others less fortunate around the globe. We always go out of our way to provide much needed relief and make life a bit easier for others. America stands alone as a role model that exemplifies compassion and care for many countries.

Why don't the NBME folks start acting like they are part of this great Nation? They seem to do whatever the heck they like to do.....It is virtually impossible to get a fair say on any or all matters affecting us.

I would really appreciate everyone's input on how this can be tackled............

Last edited:
Seems reasonable when you account for the multiple states a person would already be unable to qualify for licensure in.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

Eh to be fair most states either have no limit or a much more liberal limit than above (3 or 4 attempts per Step).

Actually I may have misunderstood the rule. Is it 6 attempts per step or 6 attempts total? Because 6 attempts per step is wayyy more than enough.

It is like saying you have received x amount of traffic tickets, ok from now onwards anyone who has received 7 tickets or more (whether it be for speeding, or minor traffic violations) will never be able to drive again, AND people who previously got 5 tickets and were not subjected this rule it will apply to them as well.

Actually, that wouldn't be unfair. Driving is a privilege, not a right--as is practicing medicine. If you honestly can't pass in that many attempts, you probably shouldn't be a physician. That's not to say that someone who is unable to pass boards would also automatically be a terrible physician... but there's really no other way to guarantee a minimal level of competence on a large scale.

And as @Brain Bucket said, failing even once makes it difficult to match. The rule is almost irrelevant because someone who fails 5 times is probably not going to be able to match anyway.

Reactions: 7 users
Per the blog:
"Suddenly, the NBME folks came out with the rule that from now onwards all the attempts taken before will be counted towards a 6 attempt limit per component of the USMLE"

So you have 6 tries to pass Step 1, 6 tries to pass Step 2, and 6 tries to pass Step 3? If that's the case, I don't think that's unfair. If someone can't pass on the 6th attempt, regardless of reason, what makes anyone think they'll pass on the 7th or 8th or 9th attempt? By the way, are you aware there are medical schools that will dismiss a student who can't pass on the 3rd try? Complaining about the 6th try kind of pales in comparison.

Reactions: 4 users
Well if one crosses the limit on a particular step component.....due to various reasons (family, health, work, etc). That is what I was referring to.....

Previously when examinees took this exam, this rule did not exist. Hence, they did not have to think that if they failed it would be counted towards a 6 attempt limit. It is UNFAIR, and OUTRIGHT INJUSTICE to impose such a rule on them right now. It is like saying you have received x amount of traffic tickets, ok from now onwards anyone who has received 7 tickets or more (whether it be for speeding, or minor traffic violations) will never be able to drive again, AND people who previously got 5 tickets and were not subjected this rule it will apply to them as well. Hence, irrespective of when you take the exam you are suddently put under the gun. That is JUST WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE.

There should be some relief, or a separate rule for them....for instance....Ok from a specific date anyone who takes the exam it will be counted towards a 6 attempt limit. Examinee who took this exam before the attempt limit is introduced will still get the full 6 chances or this rule will not apply to them.

That is A BIT MORE FAIR.

Wow.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for all your sincere thoughts. Well....let me expand a bit more on this.....At times due to a variety of personal problems (family-related-----father's mother's, brother's, sister's illness; work-related pressures and headaches, personal ill health, financial troubles, etc), some students who successfully completed medical school....may at times be unlucky in passing the step.

That does not mean.....they are outright plain dumb or just don't get it!

It is there "Circumstances" that proved to be a barrier in their success. By introspection and rectifying their personal problems, they are all ready to move ahead with a renewed sense of hope. They are all willing to retake the exam. They are willing to give it another GO! But the system has now turned an evil-eye against them.

In spite, of the knowledge that even if they pass the exam, additional extra efforts would be required to attain a residency spot. Such individuals have somehow always lifted themselves up and just kept pushing against all odds. They have devoted much time and energy to attain their childhood dream. Don't you think that they truly DESERVE to be physicians? They have truly experienced what is PAIN like first hand. They know what it is like to keep fighting in spite of the pressures put upon them. Many times, they have sacrificed themselves for their family members, so that no harm comes upon them during their watch. They might have tried to do to many things at one time, and that is why now..........unfortunately they are in such a terrible state.

Wouldn't you want to help someone deserving? Aren't we in a compassionate profession? We always go to extreme lengths to take care of anyone who seeks our help in the wards, outside the hospital, at dinner meetings, on the street, you name it we are doing it all time......Isn't it time we started caring for our colleagues as well?

Pls do suggest how this can be successfully tackled.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your sincere thoughts. Well....let me expand a bit more on this.....At times due to a variety of personal problems (family-related-----father's mother's, brother's, sister's illness; work-related pressures and headaches, personal ill health, financial troubles, etc), some students who successfully completed medical school....may at times be unlucky in passing the step.

It is there "Circumstances" that proved to be a barrier in their success. By introspection and rectifying their personal problems, they are all ready to move ahead with a renewed sense of hope. They are all willing to retake the exam. They are willing to give it another GO! But the system has now turned an evil-eye against them.

In spite, of the knowledge that even if they pass the exam additional extra efforts would be required to attain a residency spot. Such individuals have somehow always lifted themselves up and just kept pushing against all odds. They have devoted much time and energy to attain their childhood dream. Don't you think that they truly DESERVE to be physicians? They have truly experienced what is PAIN like first hand. They know what it is like to keep fighting in spite of the pressures put upon them. Many times, they have sacrificed themselves for their family members, so that no harm comes upon them during their watch. They might have tried to do to many things at one time, and that is why now..........unfortunately they are in such a terrible state.

Wouldn't you want to help someone deserving? Aren't we in a compassionate profession? We always go to extreme lengths to take care of anyone who seeks our help in the wards, outside the hospital, at dinner meetings, on the street, you name it we are doing it all time......Isn't it time we started caring for our colleagues as well?

Save the BS for someone who'll buy it. Your best bet if you're past the 5 retake limit is to express this RATIONALLY to the board, without the whining and emotional blackmail. If you still have a retake or two left, take the time to read through all of this :

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-2014-step-1-experiences-and-scores-thread.1044910/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-2013-step-1-experiences-and-scores-thread.976815/

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Save the BS for someone who'll buy it. Your best bet if you're past the 5 retake limit is to express this RATIONALLY to the board, without the whining and emotional blackmail. If you still have a retake or two left, take the time to read through all of this :

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-2014-step-1-experiences-and-scores-thread.1044910/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-2013-step-1-experiences-and-scores-thread.976815/

Thanks for your comments.....I am afraid my friend it is not BS, not a whine and emotional blackmail. It truly is a reality........that unfortunately many people face today.

Anyway, thanks for the Board suggestion option and the thread links.

Thanks for your comments.....I am afraid my friend it is not BS, not a whine and emotional blackmail. It truly is a reality........that unfortunately many people face today.

Anyway, thanks for the Board suggestion option and the thread links.
Buddy, I am one of those 'many people'.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

i wouldn't like being treated by a doctor who had to take steps 6 times

Reactions: 7 users
We
Buddy, I am one of those 'many people' and I know when somebody is lying about that kind of situation.

Well "If you are truly one of those "many people" " then it would definitively not be a lie to you.

Thanks again for your comments. They are much appreciated.

We

Well "If you are truly one of those "many people" " then it would definitively not be a lie to you.

Thanks again for your comments. They are much appreciated.
First, let's establish: Is this person we're talking about you or your son?

Buddy, I am one of those 'many people'.

Thank you so much for your comments. I love you and the comments so much, i appreciate and love your amazing comments so much.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for your comments. I love you and the comments so much, i appreciate and love your amazing comments so much.
Haha. Dude's probably Indian. That's how some of us write.

Funny thing is, I might have gone out of my way to help him, if he'd just been honest with me.

Reactions: 1 users
i wouldn't like being treated by a doctor who had to take steps 6 times
Perhaps you would be surprised to know that there are many doctors how have taken the exam many times (before there were any limits) and are still practicing. Also, there are many doctors who barely made it thru medical school or barely passed their boards and are practicing.

And there are others who have in spite of losing their medical license to practice in various states due to serious errors, somehow still find a way to practice......

Perhaps you would be surprised to know that there are many doctors how have taken the exam many times (before there were any limits) and are still practicing. Also, there are many doctors who barely made it thru medical school or barely passed their boards and are practicing.

And there are others who have in spite of losing their medical license to practice in various states due to serious errors, somehow still find a way to practice......

maybe they retook the exam once, i can understand that. But to take the exam 6 times is a bit ridiculous. I hope everything works out for you though.

maybe they retook the exam once, i can understand that. But to take the exam 6 times is a bit ridiculous. I hope everything works out for you though.
Thanks for the comment......Unfortunately they are many who have not retaken it just once to make it. Let's just leave it at that.

can we change the rule to be 6 total?

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for the comment......Unfortunately they are many who have not retaken it just once to make it. Let's just leave it at that.

that may be true, but the competition is getting a lot tougher, scores are getting higher, expectations are increasing. 6 attempts is more than enough.

that may be true, but the competition is getting a lot tougher, scores are getting higher, expectations are increasing. 6 attempts is more than enough.

Competition is getting a lot tougher, that does not mean we need to use it as an excuse to start weeding out others.

Actually, that wouldn't be unfair. Driving is a privilege, not a right--as is practicing medicine. If you honestly can't pass in that many attempts, you probably shouldn't be a physician. That's not to say that someone who is unable to pass boards would also automatically be a terrible physician... but there's really no other way to guarantee a minimal level of competence on a large scale.

And as @Brain Bucket said, failing even once makes it difficult to match. The rule is almost irrelevant because someone who fails 5 times is probably not going to be able to match anyway.

Thanks for your comment....whether it be a privilege, not a right.... that is not what I am trying to communicate. It is the analogy of how this rule is just ill-founded. I totally understand your reasoning about the difficulty in getting a spot, but it is still possible thru additional hardwork. Nothing is totally impossible.

Competition is getting a lot tougher, that does not mean we need to use it as an excuse to start weeding out others.
You do know that nearly all states have a maximum number of attempts on a particular Step in order to get a license right?

[QUOTE="ja12a, post: 15264970, member:

I request everyone to pls visit the above blogspot and post your comments about this topic over there.
Perhaps we can also discuss this very sensitive topic over here as well.

Many deserving people are suffering....pls Let's all Stand together United to help others in need.[/QUOTE]

they can always work in another country, their dream of becoming of a physician hasn't been taken away from them!

This was probably implemented to keep FMGs (lets be serious here, they're the biggest market for USMLE retakes) that have piles of cash laying around from just taking the exam over and over again, monkey with a typewriter style, until they pass by dumb luck. It's a totally reasonable rule and is not unfair because past test takers weren't held to it. When they make something illegal, you can't just say "but it was legal for my neighbor to do last week, this isn't fair!" and get away with it.

Anyway, I have zero feels for a FMG that can't pass on the 6th shot, and exactly a tenth of a feel for a US grad in the same situation (only because of those loans).

lol 6 attempts? Years of hard work? It should take you 6 weeks and 1 attempt. It's pretty hard to fail step 1 if you've studied a little bit so you're not going to get any sympathy from me. If you can't pass our boards, you're not on our level.

This was probably implemented to keep FMGs (lets be serious here, they're the biggest market for USMLE retakes) that have piles of cash laying around from just taking the exam over and over again, monkey with a typewriter style, until they pass by dumb luck. It's a totally reasonable rule and is not unfair because past test takers weren't held to it. When they make something illegal, you can't just say "but it was legal for my neighbor to do last week, this isn't fair!" and get away with it.

Anyway, I have zero feels for a FMG that can't pass on the 6th shot, and exactly a tenth of a feel for a US grad in the same situation (only because of those loans).

I think if nothing else, this rule may prevent some folks from being unfairly strung along, taking retake after retake...

Reactions: 5 users
lol 6 attempts? Years of hard work? It should take you 6 weeks and 1 attempt. It's pretty hard to fail step 1 if you've studied a little bit so you're not going to get any sympathy from me. If you can't pass our boards, you're not on our level.

Totally agree, but I didn't want to sound like an ass. Thank you.

In spite, of the knowledge that even if they pass the exam, additional extra efforts would be required to attain a residency spot. Such individuals have somehow always lifted themselves up and just kept pushing against all odds. They have devoted much time and energy to attain their childhood dream. Don't you think that they truly DESERVE to be physicians? They have truly experienced what is PAIN like first hand. They know what it is like to keep fighting in spite of the pressures put upon them. Many times, they have sacrificed themselves for their family members, so that no harm comes upon them during their watch. They might have tried to do to many things at one time, and that is why now..........unfortunately they are in such a terrible state.

Well I wouldn't want the person to fail any step six times to touch me or any patient and I think the more compassionate thing would be to tell this person other avenues to help people. Good luck

I know I'm going to regret this, but...that's not entirely true.

Last edited:
Which part?

Step I is meant to establish minimal competency as one progresses to the next stage in their medical career.

If you can't pass one/several of the Step exams in 6 attempts (and I would argue far fewer attempts, actually), then maybe God/Allah/Vishnu/whoever is trying to tell you that your talents are better focused elsewhere.

I never actually thought I'd see the day someone on SDN would be whining about "only" 6 f*cking attempts for Step exams. You're lucky they don't start garnishing your future wages after 3 failures.

Reactions: 6 users
Brain Bucket, please elaborate on which statements you disagree with and why.

That "could" be me, I'd say. The post is in osteopathic, no need to link to it. That said, if one needs to reattempt Step 1 or Step 2 or Step 3 multiple (read 6) times, coming from me who did poorly the first time, there is a serious issue and brings into question if the student is able 1) Finish medical school and 2) Practice medicine competently.

One mess up? Ok, it may have been a bad day, perhaps denial into the amount of preparation done or a true test anxiety. 6 times? Absolutely freaking not. The chance for residency, I'd speculate, is next to zero. Find a residency? Great. When you're done, you're limited geographically where you can practice because of the attempts.

I think most residencies have their own limit of 3 failures between all exams. 6 failures you will not even get interview invites with that. Why? Because the programs do not want you failing the boards. For family medicine programs, acgme requires I think 80-85% pass rate. In programs with 6-8 residents per class it does not take very many to fail it and could get the program a warning or probation. Now if you were a program director would you interview someone with even 4 failures. I think 6 is too generous. If you are having health problems, family issues etc you need to realize it is affecting you and take time off.

At times due to a variety of personal problems, some students who successfully completed medical school....may at times be unlucky in passing the step.

Student fails a step exam SIX attempts in a row...

"unlucky"

It is there "Circumstances" that proved to be a barrier in their success. By introspection and rectifying their personal problems, they are all ready to move ahead with a renewed sense of hope. They are all willing to retake the exam. They are willing to give it another GO! But the system has now turned an evil-eye against them

This would be true of someone who failed it once, maybe twice. After failing the exam twice, there is no reason to take it again until you are 300% sure you can pass. If you take it a third time and fail it, are you still going to say they were just unlucky?? Come on. At that point, it becomes lack of knowledge, not lack of luck.

Such individuals have somehow always lifted themselves up and just kept pushing against all odds. They have devoted much time and energy to attain their childhood dream. Don't you think that they truly DESERVE to be physicians? They have truly experienced what is PAIN like first hand

No, they have NOT experienced what pain is like. They have experienced what ADVERSITY is like, but to compare the emotional and psychological struggles of someone who can't pass the board exam to someone in emotional, psychological, and physical pain because they're, say, dying of cancer, is short-sighted and insensitive.

They know what it is like to keep fighting in spite of the pressures put upon them. Many times, they have sacrificed themselves for their family members, so that no harm comes upon them during their watch. They might have tried to do to many things at one time, and that is why now..........unfortunately they are in such a terrible state

Again, that could be said for someone who failed it once, not someone who failed it 6 times.

Wouldn't you want to help someone deserving?

I don't think they're deserving if they can't pass Step 1 in 6 attempts. Part of being deserving is having the knowledge base. Failing this exam 6 times means they don't have that.

Complaining about six attempts per exam? LOL RU SERIOUS? Six tries is far too lenient. Should be one, MAYBE two retakes per exam in my opinion.

I can understand someone failing one Step once. Maybe twice, if they had something completely unexpected happen. To fail each exam 6 times is at the point where they really should not be physicians. At least not in the US (I assume someone could fail 6 times if they were an IMG with a poor grasp of English, and they may make a perfectly good physician in their own country).

An exercise in futility.

Last edited:
There are more than a few variables, some that I'll be unable to adequately express, others that I'm unaware of, and still others that I don't have time for. Let's take OP's example since it's convenient.

I think it's one of two situations:
1. The candidate is a kid.
2. The candidate doesn't want to go to the States at a sub/conscious level.

I use 'the candidate', because OP might not be the person being talked about.

Let's look at it from a cultural perspective: Keep in mind that usually kids enter Med school straight from High school...from one insular community to another, with little room for personal growth. In many countries decisions about your life are not your own. If your father/mother says, 'Son, you're going to america, it's all been set up, you just have to pass this test'. The only way you can refuse is by sabotaging yourself. This might very well be such a case. It's easy to say,just say no. It's actually almost impossible to in that social dynamic (especially among the plebs). The reasons he might want to refuse are many, I'll just make one up - Say a marriage has been arranged, and the girl has agreed to marry him contingent on the fact that they go to the States, while he wants to marry some other girl his parents don't approve of. Again, this is just conjecture, but based on what he's said and his responses to me, he's clearly lying about almost everything, which is why I suspect that it's a family member writing on his behalf. Either that, or...he's a kid who didn't grow up and hasn't yet learned that people can help you better if you make them aware of your actual situation. There is so much more to add to the cultural perspective, but none of that is applicable here since I don't believe him.

To address what I disagree with in your post:

"It should take you 6 weeks and 1 attempt" - It should take you less if your education has been directed towards the test. However you look at it, Americans are being prepared carefully to pass each successive test...let's start with the SATs, where critical reasoning, vocabulary, and basic mathematics are assessed in MCQ format. Moving on, you see MCQs all through college and on the MCATs, the VR section stresses critical thinking once again. You learn HOW to answer vignette style MCQs in the sciences and you get your timing down. Finally, your shelf exams give you a solid foundation for the step. Even if you don't have shelves, all medical schools are motivated to address high yield material as it's financially beneficial to them in terms of reputation and alumni.

Compare this to exams elsewhere. Through all of school (as in from kindergarden to the 12th) and then medical school (directly, remember) there are usually a few simple mcqs, and mainly short answers and essays (the marking scheme is a pain to explain - involves assigned points and negative marking, but if you're really interested, lmk). This method of testing places a higher premium on memorization than understanding and reasoning. The mindset is...let the student learn the material first, and then we will teach them to apply it during internship and residency. This is just the first part of the exam - and I don't think I need to explain how woefully under-prepared a student is to answer Step 1 style qs after this pattern of preparation - I'll address the second part in the next paragraph.

"If you can't pass our boards, you're not on our level." - The second part of a medical exam (remember that this is medical school, and not residency) is called a viva, which is essentially an oral exam. This might sound easy, but it's more difficult than the written test in many ways. For the little tests, you have an internal examiner (a professor at your university) asking you questions with (usually) no supervision. They can ask you wtf ever they feel like and your answer needs to be tailored to the professor. I'll give you an example of a question. Say the Surgery resident during your rotation asks 'What is a sarcoma?', you might have to respond, "Sir, Baily and Love's define it as "A B C", Schwartz's Principles defines it as "D E F" and Sabiston's as "G H I"". Your answer might need to be verbatim in order to pass. Can you see how easy it is to fail an exam? This is why multiple retakes are commonplace in medical school. Because their exams are so very different, they are on a whole other level. One that is difficult to compare. There is another dimension to this. During accredition/standardized exams external examiners are brought in for the viva. These examiners tend to not be of the highest caliber since the best physicians don't need the money/can't be bothered to participate. To this, add religious/regional animosities. A punjabi might not like marathis, or a bengali might harbor dislike for tamils, or the person just might not like your face, not understand your accent, have not had a good cup of tea in the morning. On top of this you really don't know what they expect from you. It is so easy to fail.

"pretty hard to fail step 1" - is it any wonder that it isn't quite that hard to fail step 1? None of these apply to our dear candidate, since I don't believe him.

ARK?? IS THAT YOU???

lol only kidding, i'm guessing you go to a medical school in india?

Status
Not open for further replies.