USMLE/ACGME residency considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prefontaine

Reaction score
FYI, the FSMB has adopted the following proposal:

*Students must complete the first two steps of the USMLE before entering an ACGME residency.

If accepted, the COMLEX will not be enough for DO students to enter an ACGME residency.
Currently, only IMGs have this requirement (to receive an ECFMG certificate).

This might help a few of you plan accordingly...I assure you that very few DO schools will openly provide you with this information.

Members don't see this ad.

please site the source of your information. Also, FSMB is not ACGME (at least to my knowledge).

By the way no one is aware of this at CCOM

If this is approved I wonder how it will effect the residencies for DOs in the military. All of the residencies sponsored by the military are ACGME approved and DOs complete them. I assume there would be some sort of exception in this case. I doubt the military is going to require DOs to take the USMLE when they currently only pay for the COMLEX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who said anything about the FSMB being the ACGME?

As far as CCOM not knowing...as I posted, few DO schools will provide the information.

Contact the FSMB or read about it in the May 10th AMnews.

I would think that my word would be gospel by now. Would Pre ever steer you wrong?

Prefontaine

Could you please elaborate on what you heard? I spoke with both the FSMB
and the ACGME today and neither organization knew anything about this. The
problem may be related to a "recommendation" made by the FSMB last year.
This "recommendation" was that "all students should pass parts I and II of
the USMLE before being admitted to a residency" (you know...the push for a
single pathway). However, according to Dr. Marvin Dunn (with the ACGME),
there have been no changes in their policies. Also, the FSMB stated that
the ACGME has complete authority in this matter. So what's going on?

OK, call me whatever you wish...Yes, I am curious about the potential implications of the recommendation...but, before I really generate much ado over it, who is the FSMB?

Pre, I have found your advice to generally be well substantiated and worth listening to...but I must confess, I just thought I knew a ****load of acronyms. You my friend pull more acronyms outta your...derriere than I have ever seen...and that's after nearly 14 years working in the medical professions!

wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I did not see anything in the article about a unified board exam or the COMLEX in the AMnews. Did you get more info from another source, Pre? Here is the article Prefontaine (named after the runner?) referred to from AMnews:

Professional Issues |Despite discord, FSMB reaffirms resident licensure policy

Delegates at the Federation of State Medical Boards annual meeting in St. Louis unanimously rejected a resolution to water down a controversial policy to license residents and oversee medical students. It was a stunning rebuke to organized medicine -- including AMA, the Assn. of American Medical Colleges and the American Osteopathic Assn. -- that has tried to halt a controversial policy that encourages the nation's state medical boards to license residents and monitor students. Representatives of those groups said the proposals are overly intrusive and potentially harmful to oversight systems already in place to protect the public from incompetent or impaired residents and troubled students. The majority of medical board directors expressed support for FSMB's policy that recommends the institution of a licensure system for the nation's 110,000 allopathic and osteopathic residents. However, physicians representing at least two state medical boards indicated they would not adopt the federation's policy. The policy also encourages, but does not mandate, medical schools to share disciplinary action information with state boards. One criticism of the policy is the vagueness of the reportable information that should be compiled on residents. In response, the federation devised a model resident reporting form. The five main questions require program directors to note disciplinary actions on residents, unusual absences from the program of greater than two weeks, resignations, dismissals and referrals to substance abuse programs.

DO DUDE,
As far as I know, the military residencies are both ACGME and AOA-approved so military med students should have no problem. Remember the FSMB's recommendations are to be left as such. The issue about validity of the COMLEX has only been raised this year since the FSMB Commmittee in charge of validating the test was formed only last year. Apparently the FSMB has been issuing recommendations for the USMLE as "the" licensing exam but all 49 states (except LA) accept the COMLEX with some states explicitly require DO students to complete part or all of the COMLEX to qualify for board certification. So this is nothing new. However, we can't say much until words of the test's validity (either from FSMB or NBOME - National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners who run the COMLEX) come out.

As you will note, my post was FYI (for your information). It was posted for current DO students that are interested in ACGME residencies and are unsure about sitting for the USMLE. Considering the trends in licensure over the last decade and the clout of the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB), I expect this to become a requirement. It is simply a matter of when.

This is something that I would monitor, if I was still in the stage of training where it would be a concern, ie if I knew that I might have to sit for the USMLE. Don't stress over it, but stay informed.

VM, see p 11, 'Training and licensure: when worlds collide'. IMHO, the first two proposals will eventually be required for all physicians wanting to practice in the US. Again, look at the trends of the previous decade (for IMGs, US MDs and DOs).