USMLE and 1st year MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knovecc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's my first time here. Great forum! :)

I am finishing my first year MD in a Canadian university. Considering residency in USA as one of the plausible options, I know that USMLE is inevitable.
So, out of curiosity, I did several sample Qs --- in the subj already covered by premed + 1st year curriculum: micriobio, hemato, neuro, anato(1,2)...
Result: I WANNA CRY!!! The question are WAY more difficult/detailed than our studying objectives! I scored only like 30% for those ALREADY STUDIED systems!!!

So:
1- was this normal, for all of you who are now by the end of 2nd year, to get totally lost in front of board Qs even at the end of the 1st yr?
2- as I really believe that something may be wrong, I am planning studying USMLE (only the systems learned) this summer, will it help, or should I just forget it, enjoy the summer, and will "magically" learn everything else in the 2nd year?
Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote you a response in the other thread. But to summarize: it's VERY common to have this feeling, even during 2nd year before studying. The "boards study over summer" q has been debated, it's probably not worth it. But, if you really think you can commit yourself and maintain any hint of that knowledge once you start full-time during 2nd year, sure. I'd recommend enjoying yourself.

-----I remember doing some micro questions immediately after we had finished that block, and being like "WHAT?!" ------

Exactly the same here, also after micro:D

-----that's why months of studying ... are so essential ------

from what I observe on this forum, most ppl fix their exam date in June, which mean the gotta start preparation in March. But don't they also have regular preclinical courses until mid-June the semester ends? Can they handle both?
Why don't ppl schedule it to the end of the summer so that they have 2-3 months JUST FOR the board exam?

thanks

"from what I observe on this forum, most ppl fix their exam date in June, which mean the gotta start preparation in March. But don't they also have regular preclinical courses until mid-June the semester ends? Can they handle both? Why don't ppl schedule it to the end of the summer so that they have 2-3 months JUST FOR the board exam?"

When people (non-IMG's at least) take their exam is usually dependent on when their school allocates time. For most that's like June-ish, we did April and Vermont/Loma Linda I think are even earlier. Most people get like a month or more of time free from classes to focus on boards studying and then vacation before 3rd year. People try and book at a time they feel they'll be comfortable with the test, while at the same time getting some vaca time after.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say relax or do something else like research during the summer. I have a feeling that you're getting alot of problems wrong because USMLE questions are multi-tiered(covering many subjects). For example, the stem of the question might describe a disease caused by some pathogen in micro but what they'll ask you is what's the side effect of the preferred treatment. You can study all the micro you want but if you don't know the pharm along with it, you're going to get the question wrong. Many questions are like this, mixing 1st and 2nd year stuff, so don't worry about it now. You'll be amazed at how much more you'll know by the end of second year.

If you still end up deciding to study, I say learn physiology really well, especially cardio.

Step I is (roughly) 25% M1 and 75% M2, so it makes sense that after M1 you won't be able to handle practice questions. M1 only lays down the foundation for your M2 pathology. You can't learn the abnormal w/o first learning the normal. Step 1 tests you on the abnormal.