MD USMLE and German residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivane02

Reaction score
Hi there
I would like to know does USMLE will help to get resindecy in German ?

Members don't see this ad.

USMLE = United States Medical Licensing Examination

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
USMLE = United States Medical Licensing Examination

Makes logical sense, but it's not that simple. As far as I know, a few countries like the UAE and Israel do allow exemption from taking their national medical licensing examinations if one has successfully passed their USMLEs.

I don't know, but I do doubt Germany has something similar in place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you wanna do residency in Germany?

AFAIK Germany seems to be the #1 place for medicine not only from talking to my Consultants/Attendings (who've worked and trained all over the world) but also speaking with patients who've gone abroad for more answers/treatment. This is purely anecdotal of course but Germany seems to be brought up a lot nonetheless.

Makes logical sense, but it's not that simple. As far as I know, a few countries like the UAE and Israel do allow exemption from taking their national medical licensing examinations if one has successfully passed their USMLEs.

I don't know, but I do doubt Germany has something similar in place.

I know but It's like helpful to get residency , isnot it ?

Some German/ Austrian orthopedic surgery program must be recognized here in US.

One recent orthopedic staff starting at our hospital is a girl who went to Israel for medical school, did her orthopedic surgery residency at Austria, now she is practicing here in US, without re-doing any residency.

So some residency in Germany or Austria must be fully recognized here in US.

• Love
Some German/ Austrian orthopedic surgery program must be recognized here in US.

One recent orthopedic staff starting at our hospital is a girl who went to Israel for medical school, did her orthopedic surgery residency at Austria, now she is practicing here in US, without re-doing any residency.

So some residency in Germany or Austria must be fully recognized here in US.

No. Residency training outside of the US and Canada is not recognized.

What happened instead, is the department chairman sponsored a visiting medical professor license in the state.

US states can allow individuals to retain a license specific to one institution if the department sponsors said individual.

This is fairly common in large academic institutions, which sponsor foreign trained doctors to come work as professors at their institution, without having them re-do any residency training.

Remember, to work as a doctor you only need be licensed by the state you are working in. Each state medical board has its own plethora of regulations and idiosyncrasies, that allow for situations like these.

No, a USMLE pass will not be viewed favorable to your application. What is absolutely critical, however, is that you speak fluent German.

Hi there
I would like to know does USMLE will help to get resindecy in German ?
No it won't

Get your german skills to B2-C1

Select a state (I'm in Bavaria for example). Some states ask for a B2 Certificate (Goethe, TestDaf, DSH)

Register for and pass the Fachsprachprüfung (Medical Language Test)

You get a temporary license for 2 years (Berufserlaubnis)

Register for and pass the Kenntnisprüfung (Medical Knowledge Test)

You get your permanent License (Approbation)

Look for a residency spot at a hospital, and that's it.

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same question for the same reason
I'm from Yemen where there is almost no medicine :cryi:

I have also thought about moving to germany. My understanding of the language requirement is that you have to have B2 level for general german proficiency, and C1 level in medical german proficiency. some of this is also dependent on the provincial state that will license you . personally, i would probably try and get to a C2 level (which is the highest level), because I just think my life would be much more enjoyable there with a higher level of language proficiency.

Then you have to either show them that the training you have had is equivalent to the training you would have had in germany (they have some process for reviewing all your documentation i imagine?), or you have to take a licensing exam, and I've heard you only get two trials for the licensing exam if they decide you have to take the exam because they don't accept your written credentials..., but again it is given by the specific provincial state, so perhaps that means that if you don't pass in one state, you could try in another?

by the way, I've wanted to visit Georgia (Sakartvelo is the proper name, right?) for a while now. hopefully international travel will open up again next year and i can make it...
good luck, mach's gut!

No it won't

Get your german skills to B2-C1

Select a state (I'm in Bavaria for example). Some states ask for a B2 Certificate (Goethe, TestDaf, DSH)

Register for and pass the Fachsprachprüfung (Medical Language Test)

You get a temporary license for 2 years (Berufserlaubnis)

Register for and pass the Kenntnisprüfung (Medical Knowledge Test)

You get your permanent License (Approbation)

Look for a residency spot at a hospital, and that's it.
How long does it take to complete the process?

If you don't speak german it will take minimum 1 year of intensive study to get to that level; realistically 2. That's the rate limiter.

Reactions: 1 users

If you don't speak german it will take minimum 1 year of intensive study to get to that level; realistically 2. That's the rate limiter.

This. Learning the language is the first barrier. It's doable in a year if you are determined.

Once you are at a C1 level the process takes more than a year.

Due to corona everything got delayed and can take up to 2 years.

I waited 9 months to get an appointment for the Fachsprachprüfung. This year they cancelled the Kenntnisprüfung in Bavaria. Next available appointments are in 2022.

ok! thanks! It's important to come already with C1 leval in German...
I didn't know about it!!! Fortunately, I'm in third year medical school
Congrats to you! I'm happy about it!