USMLE and GPA in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneStrongBro

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys know of anyone that had a BIG discrepancy in either direction i.e. someone with a 235 and a C average in medical school. Or a 190 but Honored most preclinical courses.

Also, if someone has their Step 1 score report will you SCAN it without your NAME and private information. I am curious what a scoring report looks like.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of people that were in the top 10% of the class and failed the Step 1 3 consecutive times and were dismissed from medical school. Obviously some people have a large capacity to memorize, regurgitate, and forget, but no ability to understand information or think logically.

A lot of schools don't have grades until 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BiggMann79
I've heard of people that were in the top 10% of the class and failed the Step 1 3 consecutive times and were dismissed from medical school. Obviously some people have a large capacity to memorize, regurgitate, and forget, but no ability to understand information or think logically.

doesn't sound true...but oh well.

Originally posted by OneStrongBro
I was wondering if you guys know of anyone that had a BIG discrepancy in either direction i.e. someone with a 235 and a C average in medical school. Or a 190 but Honored most preclinical courses.

Also, if someone has their Step 1 score report will you SCAN it without your NAME and private information. I am curious what a scoring report looks like.

I got almost all C's in my first year, and mostly B's in my second year. I had a 230 step 1 score, and I had no problem getting interviews at the top anesthesiology programs. My problem early on was simply overthinking exam questions, or not studying the "right" material that ended up being tested. Step 1 emphasized knowing the core concepts really well, which, apparently, I did.

My message here is not to count yourself out of the game just because you didn't do well in the basic sciences. Just do the best you can, and let your interests take you where you want to go.