usmle and osteo programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndocy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we required to/should we report USMLE scores to osteopathic programs? I did well on step 2 (applying EM) so I don't mind releasing it, just don't know if thats what you're supposed to do. A PD told me that I had to, but I thought that was strange.

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying via the ACGME match, you must report it. If you are applying in the AOA match, you do not. At least that was my take and what I have heard from three PDs. Any PDs want to weigh in?

There is controversy about the exact wording of the rule - and it has been interpreted by some to mean you have to report you have taken it, but not release your score. However, this has been mired in controversy and personally I would hate to have a mis-interpretation affect my match.

Yes, this is rather confusing because we are allowed to check the box to release usmle scores to DO programs, but I'm not sure what to do.

I've heard from some that you may catch flack from programs for having taken the usmle, so avoid releasing it. On the other hand I did well so I'm tempted to release them. I'm confused on what to do. Any PD's or current residents care to weigh in on their experiences?

I'm obviously releasing the scores of both to acgme programs so that's not an issue. It's about what the aoa programs are looking for.