USMLE as a Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I am a student who got into a canadian medical school and wishing to practice in the states. In canada, USMLE is not required (obviously), so I wanted to ask you guys some questions.

I've searched around and found USMLE World. Is this sort of like Kaplan for the MCAT? Is it recommended? I was thinking about studying the USMLE during years 1-2 to maximize my studying time and do well on the USMLE

Which prep books or online resources do you guys recommend? It will be mainly for years 1-2.

Thanks all!!

Members don't see this ad.

There's an entire USMLE forum on SDN. I would suggest taking a look over there for questions about Step resources.

USMLE World is a question bank that is probably the best resource you could use (in combination with books or formal courses) to prepare for Step 1.

Hey all

I am a student who got into a canadian medical school and wishing to practice in the states. In canada, USMLE is not required (obviously), so I wanted to ask you guys some questions.

I've searched around and found USMLE World. Is this sort of like Kaplan for the MCAT? Is it recommended? I was thinking about studying the USMLE during years 1-2 to maximize my studying time and do well on the USMLE

Which prep books or online resources do you guys recommend? It will be mainly for years 1-2.

Thanks all!!

UW is a question bank, not a review course, and is generally considered the golden standard for Step 1 exam preparation (in that it covers a lot of the high yield topics and prepares you for some of the tougher reasoning questions on the exam).

There are a number of review courses, but if you want to start during Years 1 and 2 you should use Gunner Training (despite the name it doesn't require being a gunner at all). There's a shorter review course called Doctors In Training but it's basically a guy reading First Aid to you. Not really helpful for me as I read faster than I listen.

That being said many people just studied during their dedicated 6-7 week preparation time before taking their exam. I personally studied by doing UW questions during MS2 along with my classes since it worked for me and resetting the yearlong subscription when my dedicated study time came by. Of course I don't have my score back so when I do I can give you a better idea of whether it was worth it/good enough/preparatory. I plan on posting a full synopsis of my study plan when I get my score back anyway (and if the score is worth it to post).

Also as said above, refer to the Step 1 forum for a lot of good answers.