USMLE BUZZWORDS 1st or 2nd edition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, is this book useful?

Secondly, does it matter if you have the 1st or 2nd edition? I know the second edition is a lot thicker, but is it a case of lots of extra useless info and the earlier edition is better? or is the thicker 2nd edition better?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, is this book useful?

Secondly, does it matter if you have the 1st or 2nd edition? I know the second edition is a lot thicker, but is it a case of lots of extra useless info and the earlier edition is better? or is the thicker 2nd edition better?

Thanks!

I liked Deja Review Pathology much better than Buzzwords.

I haven't used the book, but the USMLE has been gradually getting away from using "buzzwords" in their questions i.e. instead of saying "currant jelly stools" they will actually describe the appearance of the stool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few buzzwords outside of Micro.

The buzzwords in FA are more than sufficient.

They will be all over your 3rd year shelf exams and Step II so they're still worth knowing at some point.

Is Deja Review only for pathology?

Buzzwords is overall, isn't it?

Buzzwords covers all subjects, but wasn't particularly useful for anything outside of pathology and microbiology. I agree that they are getting into describing things more (or showing a picture) but this is easily remedied by understanding (for example) what currant jelly stools look like rather than just memorizing "currant jelly stools"

Buzzwords covers all subjects, but wasn't particularly useful for anything outside of pathology and microbiology. I agree that they are getting into describing things more (or showing a picture) but this is easily remedied by understanding (for example) what currant jelly stools look like rather than just memorizing "currant jelly stools"

Ah, very well.
Which books in the deja review series would you recommend?

Ah, very well.
Which books in the deja review series would you recommend?

I only used Pathology. Microbiology might also be helpful, but I preferred to use MicroCards (the ones by Lippincott) for both class and the boards.

i used the audio buzzwords for a bit - hit up the path and phys while driving places - in my opinion, it's definitely not as useful as FA if you were to sit down and read it

i will say the audio IS useful if:
1) you can listen to it in a car while driving somewhere AND have some means to safely control the pause button (e.g. on your steering wheel, or if you have an iPod shuffle with tape adaptor) ... keep in mind - that's a lot of hours worth of driving
2) if you have leftover store credit from a book return and need no other books ...