Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USMLE during med school or after for FMG?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by dr_dre, May 20, 2002.

1. (Sort of continuing an older thread)

I'm just trying to decide now, whether I should do my Step 1 next year, or after I graduate.

Here's my situation: I'm in a 6yr med programme, with 1st 3yrs preclinical med, 4-5 clinical, and 6th trainee intern. I'm going to finish my preclinical med at the end of this year. The unique thing about my situation, is that frankly, I don't really know crap about preclinical med, as I've been going for mere passes (P=MD:)), i.e. 50 percentish. I reckon I'm going to be screwed in clinical years with the amount of knowledge I have. My plan now is to take next year off, go to USA, do a Kaplan course, study like hell, then sit step1. Then I'll come back and hopefully kickass in medschool. I'll do the rest of the steps when I graduate. By the way, I wasn't this hopeless in undergrad (~3.9GPA).

My questions are: (1) Would knowing preclinical med (well) help that much for clinical years? (2) Would it be advantageous to do Step 1 after knowing stuff from clinical years, i.e. after I graduate???

Please give me your opinions

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. halothane

halothane Senior Member

IMGs I know who have scored high including myself have done so taking the step 2 after taking step 1 and within 6-8 months of taking step 1. The overlap in topics greatly boosts your scores. I graduated in Jan 2001, and finished both parts and CSA by Nov of that year....thats about a total of 8 months for both parts put together of effective study barring days off, vacation etc.

I would say if you take step 1 after medical school you need about 4-6 months intense review
    and then just 3-4 months for after that for step 2.

Why dont you pretest yourself after your pre clinical years and see if you are up to the mark, if not take it after graduation( do the USMLE CD rom sent by the boards, if you make a 80% raw score on that you are fine)

IMGs are faced with the problem of taking their own exmas while in medical school, donno about NZ but in India that itself requires you 100% of your attention or else we might pass the mle but fail our exams.

4. Stormreaver

Stormreaver The Blade of Tyshalle

I agree with Halothane: the best bet is to take a bit of time off after graduation or whenever you're free for intensive study, and take the exams sequentially: 1 and 2.