USMLE images

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
68 yo male patient presents to your clinic with postprandial pain. X-ray below, whats the dx?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,063
8 y/o boy is brought to the doc by his parents, pallor fatigue and dyspnea on p/e. doc orders labs+ blood smear(see image). whats the dx? and what will the pt's labs look like? Serum iron? Ferittin? TIBC? % saturation?

Attachments

• img38.jpg
    img38.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 679
25 y/o male regular pt presents to your office w/ SOB, pallor and lethargy. See image

what's the dx?
what are some possible treatment complications?

Attachments

• 6 19 10.jpg
    6 19 10.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 578
1. That is the "thumb print" sign (edematous mucosa) --> due to ischemia
3. "Hair on end" appearance - B-Thalassemia. Tx can cause secondary hemochromatosis due to the need for repeated blood transfusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
8 y/o boy is brought to the doc by his parents, pallor fatigue and dyspnea on p/e. doc orders labs+ blood smear(see image). whats the dx? and what will the pt's labs look like? Serum iron? Ferittin? TIBC? % saturation?

Sideroblastic anemia (lead poisoning)
Serum iron increased Ferittin increased
TIBC decreased
% sat increased

where is this ischemia likely to happen? im looking for an anatomical location

59 y/o anemic pt presents to your clinic with a red, beefy tongue. what's ur differential dx

Attachments

• tongue.jpg
    tongue.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 349
Members don't see this ad :)
Vit. B2 defficiency

B2 gives you glossitis, however i don't think you can get anemia from b2 deficiency. but you're very close. I'm looking for a vitamin deficiency that will give you glossitis AND anemia

B2 gives you glossitis, however i don't think you can get anemia from b2 deficiency. but you're very close. I'm looking for a vitamin deficiency that will give you glossitis AND anemia

Vit C

Vit C can give you anemia but not glossitis as far I know. I'll give you another hint
this vitamin is used for an important inhibitory neurotransmitter synthesis

Vitaminc C deficiency can cause painful glossitis

This pic needs the other eye included, so we can see if the pupil is equal, constricted, or dilated compared to the other eye. It's also impossible to tell whether the ptosis is one sided.

Assuming it's unilateral ptosis and miosis, however, I'd say Horner's.

EDIT: MAYBE Brushfield spots in the outer iris, indicating Down Syndrome?

Jonari said:
Could you please answer how the picture of the eye can tell you a person is a non-smoker without any environmental factors, please?

I think Ycut was clarifying that this isn't in the context of a smoker or an environmental exposure. It was to offer context, not some deduction based on the image alone.

Last edited:
Could you please answer how the picture of the eye can tell you a person is a non-smoker without any environmental factors, please?

He may even have thousands of risk factors but what i wanted to say is for this particular disease there are no environmental risk factors

This pic needs the other eye included, so we can see if the pupil is equal, constricted, or dilated compared to the other eye. It's also impossible to tell whether the ptosis is one sided.

Assuming it's unilateral ptosis and miosis, however, I'd say Horner's.

EDIT: MAYBE Brushfield spots in the outer iris, indicating Down Syndrome?

I think Ycut was clarifying that this isn't in the context of a smoker or an environmental exposure. It was to offer context, not some deduction based on the image alone.

Yes
Brushfield spots

in what hematological condition do you see the cells in the image? whats the pathophysiology?

Attachments

• cell.jpg
    cell.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 381
male pt presents to your office with a 3 day h/o painless hematochezia. see braium enema results. whats the dx?

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 425
anemias associated with glossitis
megaloblastic anemia folate b6 deficiency
pernicious anemia from failure to absorb b12
iron deficiency anemia

Came across this question in a qbank, thought I'd share it with you guys...

58 y/o smoker
cough/SOB
h/o alcoholic liver cirrhosis
xray below.

what's the dx?

Attachments

• 906cbf8e509c795a44542134262257_gallery.jpg
    906cbf8e509c795a44542134262257_gallery.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 385