USMLE IMG Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franceschino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have spent a lot of time going through the USMLE step scores and experiences to identify the best revision method suitable for me.

Unfortunately most of the experiences come from US graduates, which are useful, but truthfully IMGs have different challenges.

That is why I thought it would be really useful to start this thread.
Details that would be useful are:
1) Country of origin
2) Step 1 or 2 scores
3) Timeline
4) Revision material
5) Any further tips/challenges etc

I hope we get lots of responses. Your help can truly make the difference for all of us!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably relevant for you as I too am a UK graduate.

1) UK

2) Step 1 - 228/95, Step 2CK - 249/99, Step 2CS - pass

3) Step 1 and Step 2CK - summer before final year, Step 2CS after finals

4) Step 1 - First Aid and USMLEWorld (completed about 70% of questions) for two weeks solid. Step 2CK - Rapid Review Step 2 (would not recommend this book in hindsight) and USMLEWorld for 1 month on and off. Step 2CS - First Aid for a week.

5) All the questions are framed in a clinical manner, therefore I didn't find that there was as much basic science as people made out there would be.

Hope this helps - let me know if there is anything else.

Jonathan

1) UK

4) Step 1 - First Aid and USMLEWorld (completed about 70% of questions) for two weeks solid. Step 2CK - Rapid Review Step 2 (would not recommend this book in hindsight) and USMLEWorld for 1 month on and off. Step 2CS - First Aid for a week.

5) All the questions are framed in a clinical manner, therefore I didn't find that there was as much basic science as people made out there would be.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Would it be OK to PM you with some more questions about your USMLE experiences? I'm at med school in London following roughly the same plan as you, just finished 4th year exams and pencilled off six weeks for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Jonathan,

Would it be OK to PM you with some more questions about your USMLE experiences? I'm at med school in London following roughly the same plan as you, just finished 4th year exams and pencilled off six weeks for Step 1.

No problem - or if prefer just send me your e-mail address.

Jonathan

Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions as you have already done the exams. I'll be starting medical school soon in the UK.:oops:

• Do you think it would be better for me to sit the USMLE Step 1 after second year (before clinicals)?
  • Do you think two weeks of solid revision was enough to get a high score in USMLE Step 1?
Thanks!

Hey guys, I am a UK medical student. Currently in my 5th and final year and applying for residencies this summer.

I was planning to take my Step 1 in between 2nd and 3rd year; but due to my poor revision strategy and a lot of nerves I kept on pushing it back and finally took it in the middle of 4th year (this past February). Revised hardcore from September 2010 to mid-February 2011...only dedicated time off I had was 2 weeks for Christmas, all other revision was done in evenings after placements and weekends. Resources: First Aid + Rapid Review Pathology + Goljan Audio Lectures + Microbiology made ridiculously easy + USMLE Word. I loved every single one of them, especially FA and UWorld. Score: 224/96

Took Step 2 CS 3 weeks ago and Step 2 CK a few days back. Once again, I studied part time during placements.
Step 2 CS: First Aid for about a week
Step 2 CK: First Aid, Step 2 Secrets and about 50% of Uworld, part time, over 2-3 months..didn't have time to finish uworld due to some poor planning and procrastination on my part. But I'm hoping I did ok. Should hear back about CS and CK in a few weeks time..fingers crossed :S

Last edited:
Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions as you have already done the exams. I'll be starting medical school soon in the UK.:oops:

• Do you think it would be better for me to sit the USMLE Step 1 after second year (before clinicals)?
  • Do you think two weeks of solid revision was enough to get a high score in USMLE Step 1?
Thanks!

That would be the ideal time to take it, and it'll be a huge weight off your back. 2 weeks is enough (not ideal) if you have been studying and preparing for it (weekends and evenings) all throughout your 2nd year. Ideally start studying for it on a parallel basis from day 1 of medschool if you want a really high score. Easier said than done..lol! Wish you all the best.

Thanks!

After flicking through First Aid I would say that after 3rd year would actually be better. There is a lot in there that after 3rd year you will just know anyway and not have to go to the effort of learning. 2 weeks? I don't think that's the best plan. US students do it right after pre-clinical but they still take more than 2 weeks and some of it you will never have seen before because we don't do the sort of biochem etc they do.

Thanks!

I would definately advise sitting Step 1 after doing at least some clinical medicine - in hindsight I think I would have found it much harder had I not done two years of clinical medicine.

Different people take differing amounts of time to revise - I have a very short attention span and am inherently rather lazy so short focused bursts of revision are best for me - the new material I found was predominantly the epidemiology of US infections and US-specific things like childhood vaccination schedules.

Jonathan

Took Step 2 CS 3 weeks ago and Step 2 CK a few days back. Once again, I studied part time during placements.
Step 2 CS: First Aid for about a week
Step 2 CK: First Aid, Step 2 Secrets and about 50% of Uworld, part time, over 2-3 months..didn't have time to finish uworld due to some poor planning on procrastination on my part. But I'm hoping I did ok. Should hear back about CS and CK in a few weeks time..fingers crossed :S

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Well done for finishing and please keep us posted on your scores.

To those who already shared and will share:

1) Could you guys tell us what Uni you went to in the UK (I went to Bristol) as it would be useful to compare.

2) Also, what would you have done differently to get a 250+ score?

3) Do you feel that you had your Unis gave you a solid foundation for the steps? What were the topics that had not been taught sufficiently in our Unis and that you had to do extra reading?

4) Do you feel that the books used covered all the material but you didn't have sufficient time to truly memorise them. OR you wish you had used different material eg Kaplan or others?

Thank you so much!!! Your input truly makes a difference for all of us!

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Well done for finishing and please keep us posted on your scores.

1) Could you guys tell us what Uni you went to in the UK (I went to Bristol) as it would be useful to compare.

3) Do you feel that you had your Unis gave you a solid foundation for the steps? What were the topics that had not been taught sufficiently in our Unis and that you had to do extra reading?

4) Do you feel that the books used covered all the material but you didn't have sufficient time to truly memorise them. OR you wish you had used different material eg Kaplan or others?

For point 2, I would say a six month sabbatical to study full time would be the key!! Frankly, I don't have the time to study any longer than the six weeks I have off and I know I will have even less when qualified. Beggars can't be choosers.

3) I felt like uni prepared me much more for step 2 than step 1. Step 1 was a lot of self-learning; especially topics such as biochemistry, microbiology & epidemiology. We just don't go into that much detail in the UK with all those pathways, enzymes, parasites etc. The only topics that I felt like uni prepared me for (relatively) were physiology & pathology.

2) Since our curricula are not geared towards USMLEs; like sineapse mentioned above, you really need a 6 month sabbatical or you have to be a genius to crack 250+ on step 1. And in those 6 months, you have to eat, breathe, and sleep USMLE!

4) The books I used + UWorld definitely covered all the materials. But I just didn't have the time to memorize everything cold to a point where I could bust them out in my sleep...lol. The only thing I regret is that I waited till 2 months before the test to use UWorld, I was just adamant that I was going to finish revising everything before I touched questions. But Uworld is not just a revision resource, it's an excellent learning resource. So in hindsight, I would have used Uworld months in advance, alongside my revision, and probably would have gone through it twice. I also realized that I learn so much more from doing questions, so I would have purchased kaplan q bank, and would have gone through it twice as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Strong advice Killer, where are you in the residency application process?

I first started flicking through first aid and BRS path in 3rd year and was totally overwhelmed. Very difficult indeed to sit down and work after firms. Did my first proper readthrough with annotations in Easter this year, now started an intensive 6 week block with first aid and DIT. Have finished reading BRS path, most of CMMMS and BRS physio. Also read HY Molecular and biochem.

Done about 400 questions, last 3 blocks on world were 67, 64, 80 with a cumulative of 63, 66th percentile. Plan to finish DIT, then move onto two blocks a day and complete another read through. Then just do full days of questions and in the last five days before my test do FA again.

Wish I had more time, this stuff is dead hard :(

I'm finding USMLE World invaluable, it is teaching me so much. The explanations are fantastic and I especially like the diagrams. Would be great to have enough time to do two run throughs!

Strong advice Killer, where are you in the residency application process?

Sounds like a solid plan sineapse. You're doing quite well in UWorld...it's much harder than the real exam.

I am applying for pediatric residencies on September 1. So currently working on my personal statement, ERAS, Letters of Recommendations and all that good stuff :)

Best of luck with with your step 1 prep. When are you planning to apply for residencies and which specialty are you considering? Make sure you try and do an elective in America if you still have time, a lot of it is about personal contacts and "who you know".

Sounds like a solid plan sineapse. You're doing quite well in UWorld...it's much harder than the real exam.

I am applying for pediatric residencies on September 1. So currently working on my personal statement, ERAS, Letters of Recommendations and all that good stuff :)

Best of luck with with your step 1 prep. When are you planning to apply for residencies and which specialty are you considering? Make sure you try and do an elective in America if you still have time, a lot of it is about personal contacts and "who you know".

Thanks, I am hoping my scores will go up by the end of my six weeks. If my last few blocks are consistently 70%+ I will be happy.

Planning on applying to the "ACCS" style specialities (IM, Gas or EM) but will probably end up doing the IMG predictable IM application haha. Would like to end up in critical care if I take that path.

I want to do F1 here and then apply for a residency the following year. Got a IM sub-I lined up in California for October then planning to do my elective in the US and Canada :)

1) UCL
2) revised more
3) as mentioned previously it was the US specific things that were new to me - everything else I had a vague recollection of coming across at some point
4) I think for me it was time and dedication that were the issues for me, not the learning materials

Jonathan

Hi guys,

I have spent a lot of time going through the USMLE step scores and experiences to identify the best revision method suitable for me.

Unfortunately most of the experiences come from US graduates, which are useful, but truthfully IMGs have different challenges.

That is why I thought it would be really useful to start this thread.
Details that would be useful are:
1) Country of origin
2) Step 1 or 2 scores
3) Timeline
4) Revision material
5) Any further tips/challenges etc

I hope we get lots of responses. Your help can truly make the difference for all of us!

Lots of UK students/grads on a thread :)

1) UK
2) Step 1 271/99, Step 2CK 265/99, Step 2CS not yet done
3) Step 1 summer before final year, Step 2CK 3 weeks after finals
4) For Step 1 I posted how I'd studied: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8835429#post8835429 (hope that works as a link). For Step 2CK I just studied for finals with onexamination. Then took finals, had two weeks off for post-finals partying, then studied monday-thursday just doing USMLE world and then took it on the friday. Can't remember what I got on USMLEworld.
5) The ECFMG paperwork is awful and I'd strongly recommend starting well in advance. My Step 1 application was right up to the line of getting completed in time to take it in the time I had off. Would have been a massive pain to have taken when rotations had started again. I definitely agree with those that have said it was helpful to have done some clinical medicine before taking Step 1.

Not yet taken CS and not looking forward to it. Did those that have taken it find it was similar to UK med school OCSEs? Is first aid helpful/sufficient? Noone did any face-to-face courses? Was thinking about doing a couple of days prep course in the US but not sure yet.

I'm aiming for peds and will be applying next September.

This thread = absolute solid gold. Your experience and advice is invaluable for other UK grads guys, thanks :)

Lots of UK students/grads on a thread :)

Not yet taken CS and not looking forward to it. Did those that have taken it find it was similar to UK med school OCSEs? Is first aid helpful/sufficient? Noone did any face-to-face courses? Was thinking about doing a couple of days prep course in the US but not sure yet.

I would say that First Aid is enough along with the orientation material on the USMLE website. The setup of the exam is much like an OSCE although the content is slightly different. The cases are pretty standard common presentations and you just do both a focused history and examination, communicate with the patient then write up your clerking. It's an extremely long day when you also add jet lag into the mix and by case 9 I was flagging. However, I passed and my worst mark was in spoken English proficiency!

Jonathan

...it is very individual dependent on how well you want to do (i.e. what specialty you think you want to apply for) and yes what medical school you go to.
Hey, thanks so much for the advice and information. I am not interested in matching into a residency position in the US to be honest. I only want to sit USMLEs because I intend to do a 1 year Non-ACGME Fellowship in a sub-specialty I'm interested in (as it requires at least Step 2 minimum), then I hope to go back to the UK to finish my training. But it's waaaay too early for me to be planning ahead I think hehe:eek:. Thanks though!:D

I wish I can transfer to a traditional UK medical school though but that's another story hmm...

1) UK

Jonathan

Update:
Step 3 240/99 - took end of F1 - revision: Kaplan Master the Boards and USMLE World in tutor mode for approximately two weeks on and off (was on nights the week before). The clinical case scenarios are definately the part I felt most uncomfortable with as it was unlike anything I had done previously (was very distracting when they all finished early) - again the new information that one had to learn were the US-specific bits like cancer screening and vaccination schedules.

Jonathan

Update:
Step 3 240/99 - took end of F1 - revision: Kaplan Master the Boards and USMLE World in tutor mode for approximately two weeks on and off (was on nights the week before). The clinical case scenarios are definately the part I felt most uncomfortable with as it was unlike anything I had done previously (was very distracting when they all finished early) - again the new information that one had to learn were the US-specific bits like cancer screening and vaccination schedules.

Jonathan

Congrats Jonathan, great score!

Hi guys another uk grad here applying for IM.

1. I went to Birmingham. I felt like it prepared me well for step 2 but not for step 1. I didn't start all my usmle's until I graduated med school though. It took me 4 months to prep for step 1 ( including Kaplan live lecture course) , 2 months for step 2 ck and maybe 5-6 hours prep time for cs ( did cases with friend)

2. If I had taken 6 months + to study for the steps maybe I would have hit 250+. I don't know I'm not that patient though. Scores were 238/99 for step 1 and 244/99 for step 2.

3. Tips: get recommendation letters from consultants as soon as you finish rotations, get as many as possible if you are unsure of which specialty you are applying to. Try and get dean's letter and chair letter from med school before you leave the country because they might ignore you if you email them after you leave! try and get any publications/ case report write-ups you can. I turned down a few offers to write up stuff because I was lazy and I regret it now. Bulk up your CV by joining societies, being on committees etc.

Anyway good to see so many uk grads here! How many programs are you guys applying to? I have 70 so far but wondering if it is excessive? Seems to be the norm for img's though.

Last edited:
Has anyone applied for residency during FY1 or 2? Just wandering how you managed to get time out for interviews?

Also interested to know this!

You get a bunch of zero days as well as annual leave. Plenty of people rearrange zero days to have big blocks of time off, you just have to have people who are willing to swap with you. There will be a limit to how many interviews you can go to but residency progs post their interview dates online really early so you can see when to arrange free time for.

You get a bunch of zero days as well as annual leave. Plenty of people rearrange zero days to have big blocks of time off, you just have to have people who are willing to swap with you. There will be a limit to how many interviews you can go to but residency progs post their interview dates online really early so you can see when to arrange free time for.

What is a zero day? And there is the additional problem of US residencies starting in late June/early July compared with UK jobs in first week of august. Would it be feasible to block book the last month off as annual leave to get a smooth transition?

Would it be feasible to block book the last month off as annual leave to get a smooth transition?

You can only have 9 days of annual leave per rotation.

Resigning would probably be the best bet.

You can only have 9 days of annual leave per rotation.

Resigning would probably be the best bet.

Cheers splik and bambi, useful to know. Reason why I asked about the block leave was that was what Amanda Vest (the dr who wrote that link I posted) did back in 2006.

My plan all along was to resign after F1 and take my F2 year as my Match year, though by not doing F2 I would have barely any locums I could do in that year. Oh well, always McDonalds for a few months!!

Cheers splik and bambi, useful to know. Reason why I asked about the block leave was that was what Amanda Vest (the dr who wrote that link I posted) did back in 2006.

I only glanced at that link but there are at least a few things that are wrong. It might just be that things have changed now but make sure you check stuff out for yourself.

Just a little update...got my Step 2 CK score last week (225/98...its ok, apparently the score report said the mean is 230...which means the mean is a 99!!!! :S). Also found out that I passed step 2 CS today :)

Up next....99 pediatric applications going out on Sep. 1 to major Metropolitan cities across America......let the games begin :)

Just a little update...got my Step 2 CK score last week (225/98...its ok, apparently the score report said the mean is 230...which means the mean is a 99!!!! :S). Also found out that I passed step 2 CS today :)

Up next....99 pediatric applications going out on Sep. 1 to major Metropolitan cities across America......let the games begin :)

Congrats boss!

Are you not planning on doing any foundation training then? Have you got family over in the US to go back to?

Congrats boss!

Are you not planning on doing any foundation training then? Have you got family over in the US to go back to?

Thanks dude! I'm planning to get out ASAP. It's getting more and more competitive each year with more AMGs coming into the pipeline! I also have an informal offer from a University Affiliated Community Hospital where I did my electives. So no point in wasting a year or two here doing F1/F2...time to pack my bags :)

I am actually a US-IMG who came to UK just for medical school after undergraduate in America. So all my family are back there. Looking back I should have stayed there, but on a random boring night, I applied to the UK just for kicks. Postponed my interview to spring break to make a holiday out of it, and found out that England was not bad :) After I got an offer, I got too lazy/scared to decline the seat here and take the MCATs + go through the application process there with no guarantee of a seat. I also had my heart set on Peds, which is really IMG friendly. Very poor decision nonetheless, but thankfully it hasn't end up costing me that much, other than a lot of anxiety and ECFMG red tape..lol!

Any more updates guys? I sat Step 1 a week back, was long!

No real update, but am getting ready to sit step 1. Hopefully in Jan, will book it soon!

Plan is to sit step 2 along with finals in June, apply for residency during FY1...

Any other uk grads taken step 2 along with finals, am hoping if I prepare for step 2 finals will be easy?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.570585,-1.102603

No real update, but am getting ready to sit step 1. Hopefully in Jan, will book it soon!

Plan is to sit step 2 along with finals in June, apply for residency during FY1...

Any other uk grads taken step 2 along with finals, am hoping if I prepare for step 2 finals will be easy?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.570585,-1.102603

Broker, that is my plan too, sit Step 2 before finals and CS during my elective, followed by ECFMG certification and applying during F1.

The step 2 CK stuff doesn't look as bad as Step 1 from a brief overview. Will probably be useful revision for finals.

What I am concerned about is scheduling my 9 days annual leave in the first job and having that correspond to interview dates! It is almost impossible to predict when you may be called for interview so I am going to just have to base it on this years interview calls and block book some time off in advance.

I took CS about a week after finals - have to say that revising for finals made the revision for CS a lot easier.

Jonathan

Update:

I applied to residencies on Sep. 1 (Peds). I don't have my ECFMG certificate yet, as I am still a student, so I went a little paranoid and applied to 115 programs ($2500!!!). On the bright side, I've been receiving a lot of love from across the pond even with my average scores. I have seven interviews already :D, including one from Dartmouth!!! Fingers crossed! I'll update you guys on the match journey and interview trail as the months go by. Best of luck with your steps!

Congratulations!

Good luck with the interviews, when do programmes start interviewing?

Update:

I applied to residencies on Sep. 1 (Peds). I don't have my ECFMG certificate yet, as I am still a student, so I went a little paranoid and applied to 115 programs ($2500!!!). On the bright side, I've been receiving a lot of love from across the pond even with my average scores. I have seven interviews already :D, including one from Dartmouth!!! Fingers crossed! I'll update you guys on the match journey and interview trail as the months go by. Best of luck with your steps!

Congrats.

I haven't applied to the US and prob wont but I still sort of want to and this makes me sooo jealous!

Where else do you have interviews?

Update:

Congrats! Excellent!

Congrats.

I haven't applied to the US and prob wont but I still sort of want to and this makes me sooo jealous!

Where else do you have interviews?

Thanks guys :)

So far

1) Dartmouth
2) NY Methodist - Cornell
3) Eastern Virginia School of Medicine
4) University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
5) Texas Tech University - El Paso
6) St. Peter's University - New Jersey
7) St. Barnabas University - New York City
8) University at Buffalo

I am so flattered by all these invites....makes it seem as if all that hard work is paying off :D

What an interesting thread - last time I was on here there were max 3 of us.

2010 grad. St Andrews. Manchester.
Currently FY2 in London at Imperial.

Applying to IM programs in Philly/NYC/Boston/Chicago.

So far 2 invites.

Good Luck to everyone!

Hi everyone! I'm not in the process of applying for residency yet, but wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for all the helpful posts and info. I'm an American, going to med school in Sweden (moved here because I married a Swede). There aren't too many people in similar situations so it's nice to "meet" you all. :)