USMLE QBANK Percentages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed about 15 randomized new question only blocks of Qbank. Range scores from 40-56% at this time. Average of all blocks is roughly at 47%. I've decided to annotate all of Qbank and read wrong/right answers thru the full of Qbank if i can survive that. Ive heard some people say that your scores go up towards the end of the exam or should anyways. But i guess my question is do you mean your cumulative overall avg correct should be at 70%(towards end) or individual blocks? And what if you complete the qbank once thru and your cumulative is still around 50s? Have people found it helpful to do the whole Qbank over again a second attempt? Is there any sense in doing old/new questions in blocks now or keep doing new ones at this point? Any help what be greatly appreciated. My exam is roughly 6 weeks away. So kinda wondering how to get that percentage up to the 70s.

Also-how did people divide study time as far as doing the Qbank each day and actual reading? I find that going thru each block then annotating is taking awhile. thanks again guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let QBank get you down. It asks some ridiculous details that are you wouldn't need to know if you specialized in that field. I started at around 68% and I was around 86% average at the end, but I had to quit using it after finishing about 93% because it was pissing me off and making me nervous as my scores would range from 68-94.
I would do 50 questions in the morning and read through why the answer was right, and usually skip why the others are wrong unless I just didn't know anything about it. I would do another 50 at the end of the day.
Your score will go up as you continue studying. Try annotating FA as you go and you will find most of the answers in there as you do the questions.
Use Qbank as a learning tool and assess yourself with the NBME's. They cost each one but are worth it in my opinion. When I got pissed and quit QBankd after two of the lowest scores I have gotten in a row-on Monday of this week, my test is on Saturday I was scared that I forgot everything and took an NBME and did awesome.
So, don't worry- just study and learn from what you miss.

thanks UNM2009 for letting us know that there is hope. my qbank scores at the moment are pretty dismal (averaging 46% after 5 blocks of 50), but i am hoping to see it go up with more studying.:oops:

-plmp

Confidence is a crazy issue in this whole USMLE thang...

For example, 3 days before your Step you get a 50% on a Qbank set, your heart rate rises rapidly, depression, anger, and anxiety set in and then all of a sudden because of stress you've forgotten over 2 years worth of basic science all because of one lousy block of Q bank...

USMLERx is no better, I got a 40% this morning, then a 100% this evening. Stick with the NBME's like everyone says :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ive done about 20 blocks of 50questions and am averaging around 60% (range 48-76%). i really hope my scores start to rise!

Confidence is a crazy issue in this whole USMLE thang...

For example, 3 days before your Step you get a 50% on a Qbank set, your heart rate rises rapidly, depression, anger, and anxiety set in and then all of a sudden because of stress you've forgotten over 2 years worth of basic science all because of one lousy block of Q bank...

USMLERx is no better, I got a 40% this morning, then a 100% this evening. Stick with the NBME's like everyone says :thumbup:
Hey aren't you taking the beast this week?

^^^ Hellz no! I delayed my $hit a month...

I must have some learning disorder or something.. Ive studied my ass off and still only get 210 on the NBME. Also, I'm considered one of the "smarter" students at my school, but this exam is going to prove that idea wrong...

But I seriously just figured out what my problem is... too much time with First Aid.. I really hate that book. It's just a list.. I need the whole story with everything so Im going to go through each Kaplan book 3 times each before taking the Step. :confused:

I think I'm just too focused on women these days. But that's another story!