USMLE Released Items and Q bank???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am having a hard time getting motivated for boards even though my COMLEX is less than 4 weeks away, and my USMLE is less than 5 weeks away. I really don't even know why I care since I am going into FP, and my class rank is top 5%. I did very well on the GSBS exam but I am somewhat concerned about my Q bank performance. I read Step-Up Neuro yesterday and did all the Q bank questions today for Neuro (241), and I scored a 70%. I just found some of the anatomy questions to be out in right field, as were some of the pharm questions. And this is considering I just finished neuro a month ago for real!!

And what is everyone talking about in regard to the USMLE "released items"? I did not receive any CD as many people talk about. I looked on USMLE's website and there are some Prometric sample tests; does anyone know about these? Also, is anyone considering taking the practice exam at Prometric to see how the real exam will be? I think I am going to do it just to make sure the site is quiet and policed well by the proctors. I don't want to get in some place where 4 people are taking their AC refrigeration exam and being all loud and rednecky!!! :laugh: This way I can change my site if I find this place sucks!

Anyone else using Step Up? It seems way more organized than First Aid but it does not cover as much material. Anyone have a good idea for an easy biochem review without having to read the entire Lange book? Well, back to basics!!

Members don't see this ad.

PACtoDOC said:
Hi everyone,

I am having a hard time getting motivated for boards even though my COMLEX is less than 4 weeks away, and my USMLE is less than 5 weeks away. I really don't even know why I care since I am going into FP, and my class rank is top 5%. I did very well on the GSBS exam but I am somewhat concerned about my Q bank performance. I read Step-Up Neuro yesterday and did all the Q bank questions today for Neuro (241), and I scored a 70%. I just found some of the anatomy questions to be out in right field, as were some of the pharm questions. And this is considering I just finished neuro a month ago for real!!

Don't sweat Qbank. If you feel you're doing well enough, you have nothing to worry about.

And what is everyone talking about in regard to the USMLE "released items"? I did not receive any CD as many people talk about. I looked on USMLE's website and there are some Prometric sample tests; does anyone know about these? Also, is anyone considering taking the practice exam at Prometric to see how the real exam will be? I think I am going to do it just to make sure the site is quiet and policed well by the proctors. I don't want to get in some place where 4 people are taking their AC refrigeration exam and being all loud and rednecky!!! :laugh: This way I can change my site if I find this place sucks!

The USMLE released items test is the same as the prometric sample test. Three 50-question blocks filled with retired USMLE Step 1 questions. I considered taking the practice exam at my local prometric place, but I'm too lazy, and I'd just rather work them in the privacy of my own home. I'm used to taking standardized exams in awkward environments, so I'm not really concerned with how I'm going to react to the test site. Of course, the next closest prometric center to me is 2 hours away, so I really have no choice as to where I'm taking it.

Anyone else using Step Up? It seems way more organized than First Aid but it does not cover as much material. Anyone have a good idea for an easy biochem review without having to read the entire Lange book? Well, back to basics!!

Step Up, in my opinion, is a great review book. The systemic approach is a great way to tying everything in together, and gets you thinking appropriately (the Step is more of a systemic-based exam anyhow). I've heard Lippincott's Biochem is really good, but really long. BRS Biochem is what I'm using and, while it's kinda boring, it hits most of the high points and emphasizes what's important. Then there is the usual recommendation of studying First Aid biochem because it's short and high yield, but lately I've really been questioning the effectiveness of the limited depth of First Aid.