USMLE scores and Hem-Onc fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threecoins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know how frequently do hem/onc fellowships use USMLE scores for screening ? If so what are the cutoff scores? The only program I found that mentions specific USMLE scores on their websites is SUNY Buffalo with 82 in both steps.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about USMLE scores, but if you didn't do well on Step 1/2, try and do better on 3. My guess at the 2 most important factors are research and training program (although citizenship seems to be a big factor too). Different programs use different screening methods, some might use a cutoff, some just care if you pass (even top programs). I got around 200 on Step 1/2 and 230 on 3, interviewed at Sloan Kettering and MD Anderson, no one brought up my score on interviews except one guy at Moffitt, who said, "You didn't do too great on Step 1/2 but picked it up on 3." An attending at my home program told me you get a point if you passed in the intial screening process, but I don't know if higher scores factor in down the line.

Thanks Nightvision, I am an IMG but won't apply till I get my green card, I had 87 on my step 1, 96 on my step 2 and 87 on my step 3. I just want my application to pass the screening part , I think my CV is pretty strong but only if someone looks at it!...By the way are you still interviewing this or did you match already ? Well good luck either way

Looking at your scores I think you should not worry about this.
LORs, research, training program and nationality (most programs like to put their fellows on NIH grants for their 2nd and 3rd years. 1st years are mostly covered by the hospitals). Some how I have seen that GC/Citizenship is becoming a must for getting interviews. Most programs are in RED and they cannot afford fellows for whole three years on their books.