USMLE scores and residency statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a website or book that gives statistics about a medical school's USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3 scores and statistics for its students. I am also looking for a website or book that gives statistics for a medical school's residency placement statistics (what % match with first choice, what do most students choose, etc.) Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look for these, other than the individual medical school's website?

All help provided will be greatly appreciated, as long as it is constructive. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine... though I'm not at all certain... that a lot of your questions can be answered by going to www.aamc.org and checking out individual school info. Also, the MSAR, a publication available from the AAMC (and should also be availble on many undergraduate campuses, either in the library or else in the premed advising office), should list plenty of info. However, I haven't looked at the MSAR myself, although I want to, and I can't tell you if it lists anything about testing and graduation percentages.

As a backup, in case I'm totally wrong on the first section of this post, you might possible request school information directly from them. Typically, brochures and the like tend to brag about factors like pass rates for major tests and placement into programs. You can also check the school's web page and see if that info is listed there as well.

One other thing to note: medical schools pass the majority of their students. You can equate that to a high pass rate for USMLE Steps 1 and 2.

------------------
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night,
God said "Let Newton be," and all was light.

-- Alexander Pope

As far as I know, this info is only available from the schools themselves. It is usually a hot topic during interview days. I can tell you that it is deffinately not included in the MSAR. I think most schools have similar residency placement stats (National Ave. is 85% get choice 1,2,or 3), and most USMLE pass rates are also similar. Basically, you can be sure that whatever school you chooses will give you a shot at a great residency, as long as you are willing (and able) to put forth the effort, and get the grades you need to get into a competitive program.

My guess is that you want this info to help you to decide which schools to apply to. Although you should consider scores/match results when you are deciding which school to attend (ie when May rolls around), I don't think they are as important right now. You should apply to a wide range of shcools, see what happens, and then use things like their stats and your feelings during interview days, to make your final decision. But if you absolutely must know, just call the school, I think they'd tell you over the phone. Good Luck!